• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 F-22A Advanced Avionics

Country
unitedkingdom
Prompted by a brief exchange with the MILVIZ team earlier, am posting this as I thought it might be of interest, and I hope it's a suitable candidate for the showcase forum - an effort at recreating, as far as possible, the unclassified components of the F-22 avionics and pilot interface (effectively representing a wholesale upgrade of the default F-22 in P3D). I've been working on this project for a while now, but it's essentially complete, barring a couple of things.

The core systems modelled at this point encompass (effectively) the latest Increment 3.1/3.2A, Update-5 standard, and include:

* Vehicle Management System (fully custom autopilot, FBW surface scheduling accurate to available data, automatic stability systems, accurate engine auto-start, line-in-the-sky automatic ground-collision avoidance).
* Integrated Vehicle Subsystem Controller (varied APU, electrical, fuel management logics, including the voice warning system, all modelled on available data).
* Centrally Integrated Processer (primarily data entry and management logics)
* UFD/SMFD/PMFD cockpit displays (modelled largely on public F-22 simulators, and, for now, providing CNI, A-A target data/symbology, some navigation symbology, and ICAW messages/alert tones).
* Integrated Control Panel (menus and operational logics modelled as far as possible on available data).
* MIL-STD 1787 HUD (Developed according to the 1787 standard, with accurate, F-22 specific symbology).

1F.png

3F

Experimental features at this point include a (not-yet program of record) Helmet Mounted Display system, and a SAR ground mapping radar mode (for Increment 3.1). The former needs work on the conformality mapping, while the latter needs the requisite XML/C++/Camera interface. If anyone can offer any advice and support on this point, I would be very grateful indeed.

4F.png

Additional features of this project include the improving of the default F-22 .air file, so as to enable the missing high-mach supercruise capability, the unlocking of a limited drop-tank capability, and replacing the existing default sounds with a professionally developed set. I have done a rework of the ModelDef to clean up some of the cockpit controls and lighting options, but have not integrated this yet.

There is currently no support for native (P3D) or third-party (TacPack) weapons, and that is mainly because of the extensive additional development requirements involved - also, I am quite content to fly around unarmed. I am exploring getting the necessary Common WEZ symbology in-place, in light of Increment 3.2B.

If nothing else, I hope this project might serve to disprove the oft-cited claim the F-22A was so highly classified that nothing remotely sensible could ever be attempted, avionics-wise. That said, hard information about the functioning of the F-22 pilot interface is *extremely* difficult to come by (far less so than the F-35, developed and publicised in the internet era), so this project was only possible after some very careful and very time-consuming research.

That is one sophisticated system! Kudos for your efforts thus far. :wave:

Wow! Sounds really impressive. I spend a fair amount of time in the default F-22. Apart from being a lot of fun to fly, it is obviously the quickest and easiest vehicle to access upon staring P3D, so it defaults as my test vehicle a lot of the time.

Congrats on what you have already achieved.

Thank you very kindly both! It's been a really enjoyable project work on, both in terms of all the research behind it, and seeing all the systems come together - many hours of work and creativity well spent.

Richard right?

You got me intrigued...I am working through the PDK right now myself to develop proper laser range finding and SAR patch maps.

PM me for contact details so I can get you in touch with Colin at Milviz.

Edit: I see you have been contacted already.

(I'm the same Jonathan Bleeker).

Hi Jonathan,

Good to hear from you again, and yes, the very same - Just got Colin's Skype request now - apologies for the delayed response, I've been a bit busy this weekend, but will be fully in touch Monday onwards.

It's funny to see a notification about this thread come up now - I've been away from the FS world for the past couple of years, owing to the intensive demands of my RL job (not ungrateful, I stress!), and so I have only begun to tune-in again more recently. Was sad to let go of a junior position with MILVIZ, as a result, but just couldn't balance the time back then. That said, I did manage to carve out some space to finish this project.

The version shown above was shot in V4, and for fun I ported it over to V5 when it came out this Spring. No reason why it wouldn't work in V3.

The project, from my standpoint, is now 'done enough'. The only significant feature added from the original post is a working gunsight and associated radar modes. This feature adapted actual gunsight code written in FORTRAN in 1974! I'd imagine this is one of the only such direct FORTRAN to XML conversions, but it will surely be one of the last - with the impending release of MSFS2020.

When things are more stable, I'd like to build a new system to run the 2020 platform, and, one day, I might even go about porting / remodelling the project over, taking advantage of a vastly more up-to-date technical base.

This is an old project now, but I'm still pleased with it - it made extensive use of vehicle / interface data that remains extraordinarily hard to find. I haven't checked whether there is currently a shiny new F-22 model out there that I've missed, sporting all the bells and whistles via the full cooperation of the USAF & LM, but I'm happy to have made it as far as I did.

Back