P3D v3 Finding trees based on a certain landclass?

While I cruise the forums here looking for an answer I thought I would just ask as well.

If I see a nice set of trees on a default landscape, is there a way I can find out which set (class?), is using for P3D (or FSX for that matter)? Would annotator show the class GUID (have not use the annotator), or some other tool?

thx

As far as I know, Annotator will not show autogen type from landclass scenery. If we're talking about autogen over photo-scenery, you can get the GUID by selecting the vegetation on the the image you've opened and being displayed in Annotator (run the mouse over the vegetation ("square" or polygon) or even use the S key/button beforehand.
Sorry to say I don't know any way for "normal" landclass scenery but, question (and admittedly I haven't look at this yet), doesn't the Terrain Mesh File Viewer show Olson classification for any particular grid square? Don't know if that gets you to what you're looking for because I don't think it'll give you your vegetation GUID. The Olson number do match landclass "numbers" though, I think. That's probably a level above what you're looking for with GUID of the vegetation textures but you might look in texture.cfg for corresponding GUID for each Olson value? Does that sound about right? I'm making some "wild" guesses here!! :rolleyes:
Other than that I'm not sure I can help but will watch out for anything else.
ian

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You can load landclass textures in Annotator as well. The trick is probably to find the right one.

You can load landclass textures in Annotator as well. The trick is probably to find the right one.
Hi, Arno. Can you let me in on the secret as to how to do this from landclass scenery rather than as autogen areas etc. (vegetation type) over photo-scenery? This is a potentially very useful capability! :teacher:
Cheers
ian

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

You can't use landclass over photo scenery. But Annotator can be used to annotate landclass textures as well, beside photo sceneries.

So far by using the Terrain Mesh File Viewer and dropping in the glabal landclass .bgl I can move my mouse around over individual cells and at the bottom it will tell me the Olsen(?) name, "Decidious", "Evergreen", etc. So that's not bad for me. I guess I am also looking for some site or file where a simmer/developer has created a visual view of what those types of veg groupings look like... sort of like a couple sites I found that show library objects and autogen screenshots.