• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ford Trimotor Recompile to FSX

Country
brazil
First, a little introduction: my name is Fabio and I'm a big FS enthusiast. Unfortunately, I'm not as computer savvy as I wish I'd be.

Second, I love the mid-war period and specially the Ford Trimotor. I am sure some of you share the same feeling about the late 20s, early 30s aircraft as I.

Now to the problem: the FS9-native Ford Trimotor CAN be used in FSX BUT (big but) the VC glass will turn opaque blue everytime there's precipitation, clouds will 'cause a weird undesired effect during flight and light bloom will flash a bright white all over the screen, from any angle.

These issues can be overcomed by disabling light bloom and swapping FS9s rain with FSXs. But that really sucks :(

I have a Curtiss Jenny that was recompilled for FSX (same model and all, but it was divided in two - interior and exterior models, with new materials) and it works great, rain, light bloom and all. I wonder how hard it would be to recompile the Trimotor and whether somebody in these forums would be willing to do it.

Sure, there would be no compensation. But it's a great aircraft, I think it deserves a new life in FSX and future versions of FS, too. A lot of people think only of flying the big iron, using their GPS and FMCs... but where's the fun in actually flying the bird the whole way as they did in the mid-war period? There's nothing like flying that Trimotor thru rain and haze all the way to a remote destination...

So, please, if there's any interest in making this aircraft FSX native, I'll be very grateful for it, as a lot of other people will be too, I am sure.

Fabio.

Country
unitedkingdom
Without the source files what you want is not possible and in this case it is a default MS aircraft so you will not get the source files.

But have a look at this at avsim :- f7b_klm2.zip

Last edited:
Country
brazil
Well, It certainly is possible, otherwise there wouldn't be a FSX-native (recompiled) Curtiss Jenny around.

Country
unitedkingdom
I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it isn't possible without the source files.

Country
puertorico
The Curtiss Jenny source file was included as a sample in the FS2004 SDK documents, so of course it's "easy" to tweak and recompile it to FS-X.

As an aside, the DC-3 source file has also been made available by Microsoft in the SDKs.