• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 MDL animations

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Messages
34,633
Country
netherlands
In the next development release there will be support for exporting animations to the FS2004 MDL format as well. Don't expect this feature to be completely stable yet though. On most of my test objects it works, but some still go wrong. So please let me know if you find any issues.

To get MakeMDL export the animations correctly, I had to disable the LODs while exporting to the FS2004 MDL format. I don't think this is a big issue, since I was not sure they were working before anyway. I have put it on my todo list to check how to get them working properly.
 
I hope you won't find too many bugs :D.

Oh, btw, I just run the "nightly build" script, so the new development release is available from right now.
 
That is already very very close, Arno. I have reconverted the APIs to MDLs and created a new library. First observation: all parts are now visible.

When adding the freshly converted objects with "Instant Scenery", the animated parts are missing, which is normal and an indicator that this part has an animation. After reloading the sim the parts are visible as expected... but they don't animate (that is rotate in all my test cases here).

Tell me what you need to investigate this :)
 
Thanks for the feedback, I guess I will test here with some of your objects. I mainly tried now if MCX could import the animations again. But I did not test them all in FS to see if they really work.
 
Back
Top