- Messages
- 3
- Country

Hello all,
Please be gentle as this is my first post on here.
After at least a five-year layoff, I'm back messing with flight simulators, and have recently installed FS9 back on my system. I did so because it's an older computer and FSX didn't run to my satisfaction on it to the best of my recollection from when I had it installed. I've been messing around with MSFS since FS5.1, but have only gotten truly serious about customizing the simulator (outside of the third-party aircraft downloads) in my recent revitalization of flying. I've flown real airplanes my entire life, and a recent break in flying has rekindled my interest in flying the simulator to tide me over. The airport that I fly out of in the real world (W88) is exceptionally poorly depicted in the simulator, so since I enjoy flying out of there, I decided to try to develop a better airport. I'm quite happy with what I've created, though with learning a few new techniques and a pretty large scenery library now, I've turned my attention to other, more complex airports.
Having said that, I'm running into my first issues where the airports that I've modified to reflect their real-world state are significantly different from their default versions. This has left me with issues such as trees in the middle of ramps that I am trying to get rid of. I'm using the following technique to create excludes, however I'm running into some issues.
http://www.flightsimworld.com/kb/idx.php/0/036/article/Creating-an-Exclude-Zone.html
I can compile the BGL so long as all of the logic is "FALSE". As soon a I try to change a field to "TRUE", the BGL fails to compile. This is with any field that is changed to "TRUE". I copied and pasted the logic from the tutorial to notepad exactly and only changed the coordinates to reflect the area I want the exclude. I even took the tutorial, copied it verbatim (including coordinates), changed one field to "TRUE" and compiled the BGL and it went through fine. I'm stumped. My logic for what I'm trying to do is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" >
<ExclusionRectangle
latitudeMinimum="N36 16.8020"
latitudeMaximum="N36 16.9500"
longitudeMinimum="W080 46.2310"
longitudeMaximum="W080 47.4220"
excludeAllObjects = "FALSE"
excludeBeaconObjects = "FALSE"
excludeEffectObjects = "FALSE"
excludeGenericBuildingObjects = "FALSE"
excludeLibraryObjects = "FALSE"
excludeTaxiwaySignObjects = "FALSE"
excludeTriggerObjects = "FALSE"
excludeWindsockObjects = "FALSE"/>
</FSData>
Is there anything that is glaring that would prevent the compilation of this XML into a BGL when a field is changed to "TRUE"?
Also, what class to trees fall under in the selections above, or do they even fall under one? If I were to exclude all objects, would that exclude any of the default objects that are in the BGL for the modified airport?
Lastly, are the base textures for the airport governed by landclass? With modifying the outlines of these airports, some of the texture doesn't match the shape of the airport and I'd like to change that as well. Are there any tutorials on how to accomplish this?
I may not be MENSA smart, but I've had a history of being trainable. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Ryan
Please be gentle as this is my first post on here.
After at least a five-year layoff, I'm back messing with flight simulators, and have recently installed FS9 back on my system. I did so because it's an older computer and FSX didn't run to my satisfaction on it to the best of my recollection from when I had it installed. I've been messing around with MSFS since FS5.1, but have only gotten truly serious about customizing the simulator (outside of the third-party aircraft downloads) in my recent revitalization of flying. I've flown real airplanes my entire life, and a recent break in flying has rekindled my interest in flying the simulator to tide me over. The airport that I fly out of in the real world (W88) is exceptionally poorly depicted in the simulator, so since I enjoy flying out of there, I decided to try to develop a better airport. I'm quite happy with what I've created, though with learning a few new techniques and a pretty large scenery library now, I've turned my attention to other, more complex airports.
Having said that, I'm running into my first issues where the airports that I've modified to reflect their real-world state are significantly different from their default versions. This has left me with issues such as trees in the middle of ramps that I am trying to get rid of. I'm using the following technique to create excludes, however I'm running into some issues.
http://www.flightsimworld.com/kb/idx.php/0/036/article/Creating-an-Exclude-Zone.html
I can compile the BGL so long as all of the logic is "FALSE". As soon a I try to change a field to "TRUE", the BGL fails to compile. This is with any field that is changed to "TRUE". I copied and pasted the logic from the tutorial to notepad exactly and only changed the coordinates to reflect the area I want the exclude. I even took the tutorial, copied it verbatim (including coordinates), changed one field to "TRUE" and compiled the BGL and it went through fine. I'm stumped. My logic for what I'm trying to do is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" >
<ExclusionRectangle
latitudeMinimum="N36 16.8020"
latitudeMaximum="N36 16.9500"
longitudeMinimum="W080 46.2310"
longitudeMaximum="W080 47.4220"
excludeAllObjects = "FALSE"
excludeBeaconObjects = "FALSE"
excludeEffectObjects = "FALSE"
excludeGenericBuildingObjects = "FALSE"
excludeLibraryObjects = "FALSE"
excludeTaxiwaySignObjects = "FALSE"
excludeTriggerObjects = "FALSE"
excludeWindsockObjects = "FALSE"/>
</FSData>
Is there anything that is glaring that would prevent the compilation of this XML into a BGL when a field is changed to "TRUE"?
Also, what class to trees fall under in the selections above, or do they even fall under one? If I were to exclude all objects, would that exclude any of the default objects that are in the BGL for the modified airport?
Lastly, are the base textures for the airport governed by landclass? With modifying the outlines of these airports, some of the texture doesn't match the shape of the airport and I'd like to change that as well. Are there any tutorials on how to accomplish this?
I may not be MENSA smart, but I've had a history of being trainable. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Ryan
