• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

[FS9] problems with attached objects

Country
austria
hi folks,

I have a serious problem:

In GMAX (fs2004 gamepack) I defined small objects (e.g. struts for a canopy) to be visible in a certain distance to the reference point. these objects are spread over an area of let us say 300m x 150m. Altough not all of the objects are really located next to each other I used the attach command to keep the number of objects as small as possible. Wherever necessary I welded the vertices. Around these objects I defined a bounding box (an editable mesh with an asigned material with 0% opacity). This "combined" ojects of course have assigned "Multimaterials" (coming from the attach process).
Compiling these objects including the bounding box works fine.

When I load the mdl-file into MDL TWEAKER II (most recent version) during the loading process some message is popping up but it disappears so fast that I cannot read the entire text. The only part in the text I could investigate is somewhat with "error". But I am able to define the distance limitations for the mdl-file with MDL TWEAKER. Saving then is no problem.

After recompilation of the xml-file I receice a bgl file. But in Flight Simulator the objects are not visible. The bgl file is dramatically smaller than an "untweaked" version of the same objects. I tested whether or not the objects themselves are corrupted but this seems not to be the case: without any tweak the objects are visible.

My question(s):
- is there any known limitation for tweaks for "bundles" of objects which are a composition of attached smaller objects?
- can the fact that multimaterials are assigned to these objects be a reason for this problem?

Any help or information about a workaround is highly appreciated because I do not want to do the whole work again ;)

kind regards

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gianni,

Could you send me the MDL file for debugging? Sounds like there is something in it that MDL Tweaker can not read.

Country
austria
Hi Arno,

thank you for offering your help. I attach a zip file which contains the mdl-file before tweaking with MDL TWEAKER II.

greetz

Attachments

• mainterminal_d800_080214.zip
    53.8 KB · Views: 458

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gianni,

Here I can load the MDL file into MDL Tweaker II without any error and if I save it again the MDL file has the same size. Also when I add a condition to it, everything seems to work fine.