• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Runway light effect

Messages
165
Country
southafrica
I have read most of the WIKI and posts by NICKW, jarddog etc regarding effects and parameters but I am LOST.. Totally..

I want to create a model of a runway light (pole with light on top) That part I can do.

BUT I want to add an effect to my model so that it look like a light shine from my runway light model.

However, I want to manipulate it so that it goes on by tuning a specific NAV frequency. I have seen such models I think in FS2004. Also people who could open close hanger doors with specific NAV frequency.

I want to use it for a farm landing strip where at night I can switch on the farm strip landing lights when I am within x distance from the strip, by dialing a specific NAV frequency.

I have tried it before but I cant seem to get it right. I have seen such lights in add-on of an airport but I cannot get hold of the developer of that airport so that I can find out how he did do that.

Bob from here did get to build a model that change colour with a nav frequency. However from far away you cannot see the difference at night. Therefore I am thinking of adding an effect that can be manipulated by dialing a certain frequency.

A few months ago I think it was Arno who tried and help me, but I am sure he got it right but I did not get it working. I think I was getting it all messed up.

ANY info would be much appreciated. Any of you gurus who wuld like to help me with my effect?
 
Last edited:
This would need FS2004 code, as FSX MDL code doesn't allow conditional display. Just use an FS2004 BGL for the light. That would involve BGLC ( ASM ) tweaking. In fact, you could use FS2002 code made from SCASM.

FSX ruins FS2004 alpha transparency, but otherwise works OK.

Dick
 
thanks a lot for the answer. Sorry I havent been here a while. I however still would like to get this thing and I just have no idea what code you refer to from SCASM.

Could you maybe expand a little bit.
 
Are you using FSX? Looking at the posts I think you are.
1. If you are using FSX,
2.If you still need help,

I can help. Bob
 
Are you using FSX? Looking at the posts I think you are.
1. If you are using FSX,
2.If you still need help,

I can help. Bob
Hi.

I'm also on FSX and would love to know how this can be done.


Brgds
Stein-Ove
 
This will be helpful if you are using FSDS. Iin version 3 under current item properties there is a section called pre process.... advanced users only. This will help seet parameters for night/day dusk/dawn and such. Too much to go into right here for the moment.

If you have FSDS version 3.5.1 but not version 3, This can still be done through parts data def.

In version 3.5.1 you can set preferences so it will generate a makemdl and an asm file instead of the xtomdl file. You then take the asm file to Arno's CAT program and set conditions for opening doors or turning on lights via bounding box (how close you are to the hangar or lights) or by a NAV freq.

This will work and show well in FSX.

On Avsim look for author name Robert Lacy.... me. Look for rwy/txi lights - can't remember the zip name of my own file! hahaha... but in this I did what you are looking for. The lights would turn on when you were on approuch a few miles out... or the other way.... a nav freq. which would make the lights pop up out of the ground.

This upload I made worked great but with one problem..... the lights are not very bright.... but they can be seen. I never did find out how to get them brighter and no one anywhere gave an answer either. I tried many tricks with no results - but the whole thing did work.

General consensis is that the rwy lights FSX and FS9 use are very big, and they get smaller and smaller as you get closer to the rwy. This is how the lights show so bright. <---- but that is just a WAG (wild
A** guess). :)

In my RAF Stronsay scenery (on Avsim and Flightsim) you can see an example of using All FSX items generated with FSDS 3.5.1 AND one item generated with FSDS 3 and using CAT (the front gate which opens when you get close to it).

If I can be of help - look me up on Skype under the name jyarddog. If that doesn't work pm me here and I will send my e-mail. You can then use that to find my on Skype. Bob
 
Hi.

Thanks for answering and explaining how to do it, but i' don't have FSDS, but i will consider it, maybe one day...;)

Now i'm working with Sketchup, Sbuilder and ADE, trying to learn those programs, much work, i must concentrate on them first, then maybe...

Anyway, thanks for answer again.


Brgds
Stein-Ove
 
All of those are exceptionaly fine programs. FSDS is something you have to buy. easy to learn- far easier than Gmax, not as powerful, but I haven't had any problems.

SbuilderX is great! Have you tried learning photoreal yet? With SbuilderX - easy to get started.

I personally use that and Instant scenery2, AFX, and studio, Instant obj studio, ADE, and other stuff. You will find that all these are great. some have features others don't and vs; but that's the way it goes. <G>

it is also advantageous, or rather.... a must, to have a good paint program like photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

btw check yor PM messages. Bob
 
Back
Top