• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX GMAX Animation

Country
us-northcarolina
I need someone to help me animate a GMAX model. It was exported from MDCx to 3DS and as such all the animation is gone. I have tried to no success because I don't know what I am doing really. I have tried to read, watch and understand every tutorial I could get my hands on. This is something I have been trying to do for five years off and on. I have the GMAX model I can furnish and would like an animated FSX MDL back if you would and could please. I have given up trying myself and hope someone will help me out. Waiting for reply.

Country
argentina
Hi, I'm in the world of aircraft creation, if you imported a model to 3ds (old) using mcx, all the animations (bones and pivot center), if you export to obj(old, I dont rember who of this format keep de imformation of pivot points) the animations again lose in the export. If you have you 3d model on max file format and you want to work with the animation on 3ds, you must export from gmax to 3ds format. In other way, you need to do all de animation, tagging them and then perform the some thing you get you results.

Country
us-northcarolina
I discovered and also was told that all the animations disappear. I need someone to animate it FOR ME. I already tried for two days with all the searching of Google I could do and still got nothing animated. I would like to provide my 3ds(old) model to someone who knows how to animate in GMAX that would animate it for me and export an FSX MDL with all the animation for rudder, ailerons, flaps and props. Then I can open it in MDCx and add the parts I need to to it. Could you please do it for me. I am doing this as freeware ONLY. I have in the readme Paul Clawson's permission to do this with the model of the Seagull.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello,
While trying to look at your problem out of curiosity, I found another method that seems faster than going through a 3DS file.

- With MCX export your model to DAE
- With Blender 2.83.17 import your DAE file by validating all available options

This will keep the pivots for each part and the empties/dummies to animate them.

If you want to have your plane under FSX/P3D install the plugin available in the resource section. For MSFS, see the other plugin.
There are many posts about Blender animations on this forum, you should be able to do your work without too much trouble.

The plus of this solution is the conservation of pivots and dummy, after that it's a piece of cake ...
I have developed on Gmax and currently on Blender and definitively I find Blender more easy to learn for a newbie :cool:

Country
us-northcarolina
I had to put a lot of time and effort to remove the floats from the original model which has been done in GMAX which I barely know. I have tried to use Blender in the past. I know a lot of people say it is much better and I agree but WAY OVER MY HEAD. Now I have the fuselage and wings without floats BUT it is in GMAX. Can you please do what I need and animate those few parts in GMAX and then export it to FSX Mdl for me to attach the parts in MDCx. The original designed model had floats AND fuselage as one model part and the wings AND wing floats as one model part and it is only through Divine inspiration and a lot of sweat and tears I was able to separate them. If you know how to easily do this in Blender FOR ME I can send you the original FSX Mdl and it is with the original designer's permission to modify it as long as its for freeware which it is.

Last edited: