• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Google Earth/KML

Country
us-northcarolina
Before I make another dumb mistake; I read below that Google Earth 6 has some problems with KML that version 5.x doesn't. I'm having some problems too but have no idea if it's related to the GE 6 I'm running.

So...is there a way to install 5.x that will avoid my having to redo all my polys and paths?

I'm new to this, so help is needed and greatly appreciated.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
There is a utility in the Downloads that will convert the newer KML format to the old version for use in FSXKML:

PreFsxKml

Dick

Country
us-northcarolina
Appreciate the response...

thanks Dick, I'll try that next.

Before I got back to the forum, I went ahead and uninstalled GE6 and downloaded and installed GE5.2. The polys and paths that I had drawn with GE6 were there. So, I saved the folder as .kml and opened it in FSX_KML. Retagged all the polys and paths and clicked "Build".

Still have the same two problems as before

The Run_SDK_Tools batch file contains this

'gdal_translate' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

What is 'gdal_translate'?

Second problem noted in the batch file is

Could not find C:\Users\myname\Documents\KEKN_KML_OUTPUT\KEKN_LandClass_2.tif

As for this one, there is tif file in the folder but it's "KEKN_Class". And the KEKN_Land Class.ini reads as follows

[Source]
Type = Tiff
Layer = LandClass
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "KEKN_LandClass_2.tif"
NullValue = 255
[Destination]
DestFileType = BGL
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "KEKN_LandClass"
NorthLat = 38.9500733282285
WestLon = -79.8795710055553
SouthLat = 0
EastLon = 0

Country
us-washington
I have been using the newest google earth and I figured out the issue with the polygons.

Save your KML, then import in FSX_KML. Next chose what you want the description to be. Then go to Verticies tab. Click Edit. Scroll to the bottom, erase the last line, the Lat on Lon will be 0,0. Then the second to last, copy the Lon and paste it on the first line, Lon that is 0, then save and look at the shape and it will look just right.

Country
spain
I did something similar, but if I remember well, I deleted the first one, well that of 0.0 value, or something so, but right now PreFsxKml do the task.
Regarding to the post above it's clear the file name is wrong.

Could not find C:\Users\myname\Documents\KEKN_KML_OUTPUT\KEKN_Lan dClass_2.tif
SourceFile = "KEKN_LandClass_2.tif"
Could be an error when posting, not sure.

If you want to be able to read all your kml's with the current 6.2 version of Google Earth you must install from the direct download link. This download does not install the auto updates and also gives you the proper document folder that the XML kml's are saved in (C:\Users\myname\Documents)

You may have to clean your registry of any utility changes (you downloaded and used) and Google installer V6.2 that used the auto update feature.

These traffic files were made 2 yrs ago

Click on the following link then click on Google Earth (free version) Direct Installer Links

From there you can choose any version that will work with XML kml including 6.2

http://support.google.com/earth/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=168344&topic=2376075&ctx=topic

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
forgive my lack of knowledge on this topic, but whats the purpose of all topics in this thread?

Im not seeing how google earth is used for scenery. either im just stupid or had too much wine. However the latter usually leads to the beginner :)

Anyhow if someone could explain id be grateful.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can draw polygons and lines in Google Earth. Some people use that to define their (terrain) scenery. With a tool like FSXKML this information can then be used in fsx.

Country
us-vermont
Google Earth workaround.....

When FSX_KML stops working properly with newer versions, you use PreFsxKml.

It first removes the last row of data (all zeros), then copies the "now bottom" row value up to the first row, which has an empty slot..

It then reverses the order.

The problem with doing this w/o using PreFsxKml is when you have a complex, nested set of folders. Once you modify one file in the folders, they all revert back to the new unusable format when you save them.

PreFsxKML is a very good idea.