P3D v4 GP is offset from objects after GPW

Hi there,
I placed a base polygon in 3ds max after getting the flat x,y via MCX coordinate converter as a reference backdrop.

I resampled the same aerial into the sim too.

I’ve made some poles in 3ds max that align with some points on the ground base image and exported them to P3Dv4.5. They line up pretty well with the photoreal, a bit off at the extents of the airport but ok.
Running them through the earth correction they line up better at the extents (farthest from the reference point) but less so closer to it.

I created a GP using the same aerial and ran it through GPW using the same coordinates as the poles. In the sim the GP is not in the correct position as the poles. It’s off by ~8m I’d say.
Grouping the GP to 500m chunks got s but closer but still some ~5m off.

In 3ds max the GP lines up perfectly, and the poles lines up in max and the sim.
Not too sure how to proceed.

Cheers,
Nick

Edit: using the second to latest dev release of MCX, I got a message there’s an update last night :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If you use the same reference point for both they should align exactly, I have a test case for that.

This is because after the GPW your object will be fited to the ground curve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should the output from GPW not line up with the photoreal base though? Regardless of if it’s been fitted?
Both the GP and the poles line up with the backdrop in 3ds max. But in the sim only the poles match the photoreal.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The GP or the reference poles? I forgot to note the poles are all in the same file rather than individual.
For both the GP and the poles you need to use the same reference point to make them align, since they come from the same source.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Should the output from GPW not line up with the photoreal base though? Regardless of if it’s been fitted?
Both the GP and the poles line up with the backdrop in 3ds max. But in the sim only the poles match the photoreal.
They should both align with the photoreal and each other.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Ah yes, that's a famous cause for issues:). Glad that you solved it.