• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 Ground shadow missing on one layer

Country
hungary
Hi Arno!

Maybe you can help us.

We are using your Ground Poly Wizzard. So far we had no problem with the same scenery at FS9, FSX, P3D v1.4. But somehow the same file under P3D v2.0 has an odd effect. For one of the layer (Concrete #12 layer) the shadow is not visible.

Look at please the screenshot:

p3dshadowpr.png

If you check the shadow can be visible on the groundmarkings and taxilines but on concrete.

Do you have any suggestion what can be the problem?

I'm going to send you the source file via private message.

Thanks a lot in advance!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It was posted before by another user that layer 8 did not work for him and that he had to increase the number to get shadows.

Is layer 12 your lowest layer?

That was me, I originally posted that I needed to shift everything up one layer, but it doesn't really seem to be this simple. In another scenery it was layer 12 without shadows, so I needed to shift everything up two layers.

I had hoped to have the time to experiment a bit, but at the moment I just want to get some dual installers released for my existing scenery.

Country
hungary
THanks a lot!

Have you reported the issue to Lockheed Martin? I'm considering to open a topic on their forum.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
For both of you, is the layer that doesn't work the lowest layer you use? Or is it just some random layer?

Also do you use the no autogen suppression tweak?

Arno, I haven't really been able to figure out what is going on here. The first scenery I dealt with had a problem with layer 8, which was the lowest layer. The next had a problem with layer 8 and 12. The third had a problem with 8, but it wasn't the lowest layer. All were fixed by shifting the layers up.

So something weird is going on. I'd love to have the time to experiment a bit more, but at the moment I don't.

Ok, with a bit of a closer look, it does seem that layers 4, 8 and 12 don't work for me. Layer 4 shows shadows, but also a weird circular interference pattern.
Layers 8 and 12 don't show shadows.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
But other layers work fine? Maybe we should change our habits of using the multiples or four :)

Country
unitedkingdom
Just to confirm, I also had to avoid using layers 4, 8 and 12. Doing this seemed to resolve the issue for me.

Thanks,
Russ

Country
france
Hello

I come in this very old discussion. I have same problem, aircraft shadows is not visible in my ground texture. Is someone can confirm me than layer adjustement resolve problem ?

Many thanks all :)

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
Just for information, I have had the problem with layer 32 and 36.
resolved by shifting.

Thank you Cédrice.

Country
malaysia
This must be a silly question but can we use layers other than multiply of 4 like 1,2,3 something like that?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That was the default back in the days of FS2002 and seems to have stuck.

For the P3D MDL style ground polygons you can safely use smaller steps.

Country
malaysia
That was the default back in the days of FS2002 and seems to have stuck.

For the P3D MDL style ground polygons you can safely use smaller steps.

Means I can use steps like16,17,18.... lke that?thanks in advance :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, but no need to start at 16 as well then :)