Hi everyone! :)

I think maybe I should get back into flight simming again, now that I have a new more powerful PC. I lost interest in this activity 2 years ago, maybe longer. All I can remember is that I started some DC8 project, had a great run with HJG, painted a few planes and then everything fell apart. Hey, life happens. lol

However, I'm thinking, I need to get back into this. I need to catch up again...

What's new in the flight sim world? Is everyone still using FSX or is there something new in town.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
My word, you have been away! Dovetail have launched an Early Access version of their 64-bit Flight Simulator World: think alpha version and rather unfinished at that. PMDG have released another model for FSX/P3D. Aerofly have released version 2 of their simulator - it's a fairly massive download. And Lockheed Martin have released version 4 of P3D ...

The last is the big one. P3D version 4 is fast, stable and 64-bit and just works. The sdk is also out, unlike Dovetail's, so P3D is getting the attention it deserves.

Oh, and welcome back! :)

Last edited:
I have always been fond of P3D and really that was my limitation. Many of the applications that I wanted to use for development were transitioning over to 64bit. I have made a hell of an upgrade ... from al old Penitum 4 3.80 ghz single core to a six core 3.50ghz cpu .. from 2 gigabytes of ram to a whopping 16 gigabytes and I presently own a Geforce GTX 980 Ti bit outdated now a days but works like a dream. This has expanded my access to development tools. I have been doing a lot of gaming lately but it wasn't until I installed FSX and tried it on this new machine that I was impressed with the performance and thought, wow ... now I can really start working on some magical stuff with this horse power.

I think I will be trying out P3D 4 and then start looking at the SDK to see what I can do ... as far as 3d modeling goes ... I also planning in getting a more professionally oriented development tool ... I still have gmax but gmax is quite outdated now and its hard to find plugins that would export out to those new platforms.

Just thought Id throw this in here..what ever happened to the DC8 project? Well, I had a small team I gathered when we decided to go solo and we took a hiatus from the project. When I came back however, I found I couldn't remember the password for one of the backups and it was the only back up we had ... we tried everything to unlock it and that is where the project ended. I did try to get another back up from HJG which, they provided but that one was locked as well, my mistake for password protecting back ups and so much was lost...we were so close to finishing the external model, it was just texturing and it was done. We learn from our mistakes and we move on but that was a hard loss.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Just thought Id throw this in here..what ever happened to the DC8 project? Well, I had a small team I gathered when we decided to go solo and we took a hiatus from the project. When I came back however, I found I couldn't remember the password for one of the backups and it was the only back up we had ... we tried everything to unlock it and that is where the project ended. I did try to get another back up from HJG which, they provided but that one was locked as well, my mistake for password protecting back ups and so much was lost...we were so close to finishing the external model, it was just texturing and it was done. We learn from our mistakes and we move on but that was a hard loss.
And that's why I write all my passwords down.

But more importantly: Why the hell do you lock project files in the first place?!