How Does One Determine What the Item is in a Guid Name?

Hi,

I've read many threads on the subject of Guids, and I sometimes see Guid names in the FS community. When I come across a Guid name, it only shows letters and numbers in brackets and I have no idea what the item is or what that Guid name represents. How does one determine what the item of a Guid name is?

Ken.

=rk=

Resource contributor

I've already done that and it has not answered my particular question. google does not have all the answers. I'm not bothering anyone and that's what this forum is for.

Ken.

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

One may focus a Google search by using "Boolean" Syntax parameter values ...as seen in the resulting query string here:

If you give us a more specific example of what you are currently trying to understand and achieve, we could provide links to more specific information. ;)

FS objects are referenced with a GUID (aka "Globally Unique ID") to distinguish them from other objects. :pushpin:

The legacy format prior to FSX had no hyphens (aka "dashes") and used a different alphanumeric character sequence.

Also, FSX, GUIDs are now more commonly stored directly inside MDLs and BGLs (this was rarely the case in FS2Kx).

Although FSX can read and process legacy format GUIDs for many (but not all ?) static scenery objects and SimObjects, one may need to convert GUIDs from FS2Kx legacy to a current FSX "Registry" format just as one may need to convert a legacy texture format to a current *.DDS format for optimal recognition / processing by FS' run time rendering engine.

Such GUID format inter-conversions may be done using a utility such as that by Don Grovestine: :wizard:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken: If you give us a more specific example of what you are currently trying to understand and achieve, we could provide links to more specific information. ;)
Hi Gary,

First of all, let me start off by saying that I realize you have other responsibilities, so you can look over this only when you have the time, and it's no rush. Of course, anyone with knowledge about these things can feel free to answer.

It may be that what I'm thinking about may not turn out as I expect. There are 2 bgl folders in the KDFW Scenery Folder, one named AP_KDFW_OBJ.bgl and the other KDFW_platform.bgl. I was curious if one, or 2 of these files is the placement for all the ground textures, including the gate number. I thought I could open it in MCX but it doesn't and says no object found. I can only open them using either a BGL Viewer or BGL to XML program. In the xml, there are Guid names that I was inquiring about, and I don't have any idea what texture those names represent. That's why I wanted to find out if there was a program where you can enter the Guid name and it show a texture, or a picture of an object. I may be posting something in the other thread that's interesting and I'm curious about one day next week.

Ken.

Last edited: