• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS How to change ICAO code for a default airport

Country
finland
I have been struggling with this for some time and did not really find good information on how to do it. Now, I found the solution and want to post it here if somebody else have the same problem.

I am working on a small airfield that has the wrong ICAO code (EFKL) in MSFS. The correct code is EFKW. I made a new airport project and edited it in dev mode, adding runways, taxiways, parkings and other stuff using the correct ICAO code. The compiled project did not show up in the sim - the EFKL was the only one selectable even though my new parkings and scenery objects were there. So I had EFKW available but somehow obscured by the default airport. I tried the new Exclusion Rectangle parameter "excludeAirport" but it did nothing - the EFKL was still there and the only selectable on the world map.

Then I finally found the solution: You have to add another <Airport>...</Airport> declaration for the false ICAO code in the xml and add the parameter closed="TRUE" to it. So now my xml looks like this:

XML:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <FSData version="9.0">

<Airport ident="EFKL" lat="60.75658581911122" lon="26.73234818315971"
    alt="41.00214062910527" closed="TRUE">
    </Airport>

<Airport displayName="EFKW - Ummeljoki" parentGroupID="1" groupID="5"
    groupGenerated="FALSE" region="A" country="Finland" city="Kouvola" name="Ummeljoki"
    ident="EFKW" lat="60.75658581911122" lon="26.73234818315971"
    alt="41.00214062910527" magvar="8.600000" trafficScalar="1.000000"
    airportTestRadius="2000.00000000000000" applyFlatten="FALSE"
    isOnTIN="FALSE" tinColorCorrection="TRUE" starAirport="TRUE">

</Airport>
    </FSData>

(Note that the ident, lat, lon and alt parameters are compulsory in the airport declaration!)

This got rid of the false EFKL in the world map and in the sim and now EFKW is selectable on the map and working!

I hope this can be useful information for somebody else...

Thank you, this is good to know. IIRC it was absolutely impossible to remove a default airport in FSX or P3D, in the city where I lived a few years ago there was a small airfield that got closed and they built a convention centre on the former airport grounds, but it was still selectable in FSX and there was no way to change that.

I actually have no problems using an airport exclude rectangle:
Untitled.png

Attached is the Project.

Attachments

• Project_EFKW.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 65
That's interesting. Have you built the project and installed it in Community and checked that EFKL is no longer available in the World map, but EFKW is (after restarting the sim with dev mode off?

That's interesting. Have you built the project and installed it in Community and checked that EFKL is no longer available in the World map, but EFKW is (after restarting the sim with dev mode off?
Yes. It works fine for me.

Compile my project and confirm it works. The Exclusion rectangle can only have excludeAirports checked. And just to be sure, I placed the rectangle above the new airport in the scenery editor.

Back