• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS How to get runway to follow terrain?

There may be a simpler way than terraforming, download ASTER DEM for your airport, then draw your polygons, they'll be saved as SHP files (I'm assuming, I haven't messed with runways yet), go into QGIS, ArcGIS or GlobalMapper, load both your shp and dem data, highlight the vector points and tell it to assign elevation to the data. You may need to check the values for the DBF file but that should save you a lot of time and effort. You may need to do it on the terraforming SHP file, not sure about runways. Sorry I don't have any time to look into it at the moment drone modeling the house :p

Hi Dean:

I'm glad to see that you are exploring adding 3D photogrammetric content to MSFS, and I am looking forward to seeing some screenshots of your future progress with this type of work-flow. :)

GaryGB

adding 3D photogrammetric content to MSFS, and I am looking forward to seeing some screenshots of your future

Hey Gary, it's so nice to be back into sim design, I'm not yet doing photogrammatric as yet, well apart from flying the drone around the house today to see how detailed I can make a reference model and see if I can turn it into a low poly model.

Brisbane is all pre-built stuff mostly but re-engineering the models with PBR and updating them to 2020.

Were you the one talking about Biomes earlier or was that Rhumba?

Hey Gary, it's so nice to be back into sim design, I'm not yet doing photogrammatric as yet, well apart from flying the drone around the house today to see how detailed I can make a reference model and see if I can turn it into a low poly model.

Brisbane is all pre-built stuff mostly but re-engineering the models with PBR and updating them to 2020.

Were you the one talking about Biomes earlier or was that Rhumba?

AFAIK, both of us referenced "Biomes" here recently. :)

GaryGB

I found this thread via a google search and found it quite helpful. There's a little trick I discovered by accident, which no one has mentioned: when you add points to the profile box, you will also see corresponding orange points being added to the runway. You can click on those points to select them, and then use the mouse / gizmo to drag those points up and down. That makes it super easy. Saves you having to enter numeric values in the profile editor, or placing scenery objects to discover terrain elevations. Another thing I found helpful was to set the fall-off to a small value, like 1 or 2 meters. That gives you a very clear picture of the elevation of the runway compared to the surrounding terrain. Then later set it back to -1, or a larger value, to get smooth blending.

I found this thread via a google search and found it quite helpful. There's a little trick I discovered by accident, which no one has mentioned: when you add points to the profile box, you will also see corresponding orange points being added to the runway. You can click on those points to select them, and then use the mouse / gizmo to drag those points up and down. That makes it super easy. Saves you having to enter numeric values in the profile editor, or placing scenery objects to discover terrain elevations. Another thing I found helpful was to set the fall-off to a small value, like 1 or 2 meters. That gives you a very clear picture of the elevation of the runway compared to the surrounding terrain. Then later set it back to -1, or a larger value, to get smooth blending.

Yes, I believe that's the standard way of doing things. My frustration is that it doesn't resolve those strips where you have slopes from left to right or right to left. I have some bush strips that can be sloped either direction, as well as sloping uphill, and some even have a slight dog leg turn to them. The worst part of all of this is that often the game has the area sloped correctly to begin with, but adding a runway flattens that out, forcing you to manually go back and try to get it where it already was. When you start dealing with slopes in multiple directions, it gets tricky fast. I just wish they would make the "flatten terrain" bit optional when you're placing a runway.