FSX:SE How to remove the default GPS bezel.

Hello.

For home cockpit builders who wish to use the default GPS on a separate monitor and will be assigning hardware buttons and encoders to the GPS events and do not want the button bezel to display.

Personally I am putting the GPS on a home built hardware panel with a 7" HDMI screen.

Edit 30th May 2019
* I have used this procedure in P3Dv4.5 and it works the same, WARNING - keep a back up of the amended fs9gps.cab because if you do a content reinstall / update, it will be replaced by the default unamended version. *

1. Back up the FS Gauges Folder and copy fs9gps.cab to a temp folder.

2. Copy Cabdir.exe from the SDK to the temp folder and unpack fs9gps.cab which will give you a folder called fs9gps inside the temp folder.

3. Open fs9gps folder and open gps_500.xml in your favorite text editor.

4. Comment out Line 2
XML:
<!-- <Image Name="gps_500_background.bmp" /> -->

or you can simply create a new smaller black gps_500_background.bmp and use that.

5. Around line 607 the X / Y position needs to be set to zero for the Element View Window..
XML:
    <Element Name="ViewWindow" Container="Yes">
        <Position X="0" Y="0" />
        <!-- <Position X="36" Y="40" /> -->
6. Repack the fs9gps folder using cabdir.exe and put the amended fs9gps.cab back in to the gauges folder.

7. Resize the Window in the aircrafts panel.cfg file in the default C172 Window 02, size_mm and window_size have been changed.

Code:
[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
Window03=IFR Panel
Window04=Landing View
Window05=Mini Panel

[Window02]
size_mm=340,255
window_size=0.25
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=1
ident=GPS_PANEL
zorder=4

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500,            0,0
Now open FSX and free flight in the default C172 open the GPS and here we go..

Last edited:
Hello.

For home cockpit builders who wish to use the default GPS on a separate monitor and will be assigning hardware buttons and encoders to the GPS events and do not want the button bezel to display.

Personally I am putting the GPS on a home built hardware panel with a 7" HDMI screen.

1. Back up the FS Gauges Folder and copy fs9gps.cab to a temp folder.

2. Copy Cabdir.exe from the SDK to the temp folder and unpack fs9gps.cab which will give you a folder called fs9gps inside the temp folder.

3. Open fs9gps folder and open gps_500.xml in your favorite text editor.

4. Comment out Line 2
XML:

or you can simply create a new smaller black gps_500_background.bmp and use that.

5. Around line 607 the X / Y position needs to be set to zero for the Element View Window..
XML:
6. Repack the fs9gps folder using cabdir.exe and put the amended fs9gps.cab back in to the gauges folder.

7. Resize the Window in the aircrafts panel.cfg file in the default C172 Window 02, size_mm and window_size have been changed.

Code:
[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
Window03=IFR Panel
Window04=Landing View
Window05=Mini Panel

[Window02]
size_mm=340,255
window_size=0.25
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=1
ident=GPS_PANEL
zorder=4

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0
Now open FSX and free flight in the default C172 open the GPS and here we go..

Hi,

Is there a way of hiding the windows title bar of the undocked popup window? That would be useful for my home cockpit setup.

Good work btw !

Cheers
Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good work btw !
Thanks Stinger,

Removing the title bar was my next step, I have read somewhere that it can be done, BUT the window will not be able to be moved, nothing to grab hold of.. and that requires knowing the coordinates where the window is to be placed, not so easy on multiple monitor set ups.. However, with regards WarpD comment, this may well be true, because in all my research I only found that 1 article.. and I failed to make a note of where it is.. If I find it I will report back.

ATB.
Rog..

Thanks Stinger,

Removing the title bar was my next step, I have read somewhere that it can be done, BUT the window will not be able to be moved, nothing to grab hold of.. and that requires knowing the coordinates where the window is to be placed, not so easy on multiple monitor set ups.. However, with regards WarpD comment, this may well be true, because in all my research I only found that 1 article.. and I failed to make a note of where it is.. If I find it I will report back.

ATB.
Rog..
The best method I have found for hiding the title bar.....

In the screens layout (display properties in Windows or Nvidia control panel) ,position the extra screen ABOVE the main view screen. Drag the undocked popup window and stretch to fit. If you then drag the popup as far upwards as possible you will manage to hide approx half of the title bar.

Make the title bar black in "personalize" (right click on the desktop). This makes it blend a bit better into the bezel of the extra screen.

Cheers
Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

For any one needing to remove the bezel control surround image for the Milviz REX WX Advantage Weather Radar gauge, please look here to find out how, and how to assign digital encoders / buttons to the radar controls using Linda Lua.

From this: -

To this: -