• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

I am lost

Francois

FSDevConf team
Country
italy
Hi guys, after many 'real life events' over the past 3 years, including moving everything we had from The Netherlands to Italy, I now finally have a PC and graphics card again that runs FSX and P3D..... even X-Plane 11 installed.

But..... getting old and apparently the memory chips up there don't work the way they used to. So after 20 years full-time flight-simming, I now seem to have problems with even the most basic of things. Like installing my 'own' software?

I ran the Tongass Fjords X installer on my freshly installed FSX:SE...… and I see some of the objects, but the scenery is hidden..... checked into the scenery.cfg hidden deeply inside the \Steam\steamapps\common\FSX folder, and found it to be just the default, no additional entries for Tongass Fjords. Looking in my Scenery Library from within the sim, they are there, at the top of the list.
The found the original (oldscenery.cfg) AND an updated one inside C\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX...... I copied the contents to the one within Steam FSX..... but nothing changes.

Where the heck do I now put those entries, so I will see my beloved Ketchikan again !!!??

(And yes, I browsed and searched various forums all afternoon...... sorry if it is in here already, but I didn't find it)

Francois
FSAddon Publishing

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The active Senery.cfg is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX as far as I know. Happy you're back in the sim. Soon MSFS (Dos Equis) will change everything we know...

Francois

FSDevConf team
Country
italy
I KNEW you would answer me, thank you !!! I found that scenery file as well, as well as 6 others. The entries are in it, but still no Tongass :-(

Country
us-illinois
Hi Francois:

Long time no see; welcome back ! :)

It certainly would be fun to take a flight in an area close to one's heart after a busy 3 years. :cool:

One initial question since the FSAdddon Tongass Fjords X installer did not AFAIK specifically offer an option for FSX Steam Edition.

Did you have FSX_DVD installed first (from DVDs as in Deluxe + Acceleration from separate packages or FSX Gold) ...before installing FSX Steam Edition ? :scratchch

If so, FSX_DVD will take all the default 'FSX' file / folder paths on your computer.

If FSX_DVD was either not yet installed, or if it was 'completely' un-installed on the new computer used with FSX_SE, then when FSX_SE is subsequently installed, it will take all those default 'FSX' paths.

Otherwise if FSX_DVD remains installed on the new computer used with FSX_SE, then when FSX_SE is subsequently installed it will take entirely new and different "FSX Steam" paths compared to those of FSX_DVD.

Perhaps these links might prove useful ? :idea:

BTW: Although I bought a copy of FSX Steam Edition years ago on DVD, I never got around to installing it.

I just manually add DoveTail's 'FSX_SE' (very few) tweaks to the FSX.Cfg. from my FSX_DVD installation ...and EVERYTHING runs as it should. ;)

If one wishes, one can install FSX_DVD first, and then install FSX_SE on the same computer for a side-by-side installation configuration fully compatible with "default FSX" and/or bespoke FSX_SE add-on installers.

GaryGB

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
@Francois,

How nice to see you again. I'm happy to hear that all is well. I was thinking of you just this very week. I lost the link to the RGB military colors you were hosting. Is this still available?

Paul

Francois

FSDevConf team
Country
italy
Hi Gary, Hi Dominique, so nice to see you are still here too :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Gary, I did not install DVD on this computer...... because the version I had (RTM) doesn't want to (DVD error I think).
I did read two of the threads you mention above, and it still isn't working. It is as if FSX:SE is not reading ANY scenery.cfg.... I DO see the Tongass Fjords X scenery objects, such as harbor lights, boats, some (but not all) of the buildings..... but not the mesh and the new textures. Maybe it is the terrain.cfg that is the problem (although I do NOT have the dreaded 'water issue'). Will tinker some more. Really clumsy not to be able to install ONE's OWN software .... LOL

Dominique, mon ami .... RGB ??