• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Identify missing libs

Country
germany
I modified fs9.cfg with "MissingLibraryAlert=1" and got some errors.

How can I find the calling bgl or the missing lib?

Image1.jpg

Country
us-florida
I would start with the fact that the scenery calling the object is fairly close by. For instance are you starting at an addon airport? Are you flying and getting near a city with some type of addon scenery? You can try to find it by turning off scenery in the area and then turning the scenery back on piece by piece to see when the error occurs. I don't know of an easier way to track it down.

Ed

Country
germany
Thanks Ed,
this way I could find the "calling bgl", but how can I find the lib?

Is there a tool to scan my files for the hex code in the error message?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Guenther:

Are you loading legacy format FS 2002 and/or FS2000 scenery objects in FS8 / FS9 ? :scratchch

If so, usually one sees this when add-on scenery library objects packaged within legacy SCASM / ASM coded library format (and NOT BGLComp XML-type library format) BGLs are either missing, or are missing a texture.

NOTE: In FS8 / FS9, even a missing texture for a placed FS2Kx legacy format library object can generate a non-specific "scenery library object not found" error, unlike with BGLComp-type XML libraries, which can report missing textures via a separate FS9.Cfg parameter and error message mechanism.

IIUC, FS8 / FS9 does not know to report a missing object / library / texture (an incomplete load /render process) unless the "placement" code for the object was loaded from an 'active' scenery BGL.

IIRC, with SCASM / ASM library format however, it is possible to have a separate placement BGL and library BGL, so one could certainly be missing either the library or one or more textures mapped to scenery objects inside the library.

So, the question is, whether the SCASM / ASM library and mapped textures are also present in an active scenery library layer (...as a folder chain with paired local folders containing the library and its mapped textures).

If you know which SCASM / ASM library BGL or the SCASM / ASM "placement" BGL is suspect by disabling scenery layers and/or BGL files which pertain to the area where your flight session is located, reportedly you can:

* Decompile the SCASM / ASM library format BGL with BGLAnalyze (version 3.1) or ScDis 2.3, and examine the GUIDs used for the 3D object definitions (these do not use a "MDL" format in the modern sense).

* Find Hex IDs ('GUIDs') for missing scenery objects in the decompiled code adjacent to "ObjID" sections:

ObjId( 00082927 00082927 00082927 00000032 )**unique number** <-- 'GUID's in legacy FS2Kx format
LibObj( PWR 0 SIZE 10 SCALE 1 TYPE 0x401 NAME Gatwick_northwest_term_object )
Include( Gatwick_northwest_term.sca )
Return
EndObj

Some pertinent links:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?42686-Scenery-Library-Object-Missing-But-which-one

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?140165-FS2002-start-up-error

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?140435-Scenery-Library-Object-Not-Found-Error

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?42462-Help!!-Scenery-library-object-not-found

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?41602-Problems-with-FS2002-add-on-scenery

...and some default FS objects known to have had issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/325104

PS: Remember this thread ? ;)

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/easier-way-to-find-missing-scenery-textures.384838/

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Guenther:

That's an interesting idea. :idea:

I have personally used SysInternals Process Monitor (aka "ProcMon") with a filter for FSX.exe, and looked through its log of millions of operations, seeing for example that an internal search may have been taking place because every file in Area layers set 'active' in the scenery library was being read repeatedly when I had a malfunctioning installation of Instant Scenery version-1.x years ago (...later fixed by simply re-installing that program).

I also had used ProcMon to troubleshoot an odd system stall and 'sluggish' symptoms in certain scenery areas, and found that I had added duplicates of textures already present within a FS9 \Texture folder to that same folder for scenery library objects, while attempting to update and restore missing textures using official update packages from add-on library authors.

It turned out that by using some odd copy procedure of Win98SE or WinXP Windows Explorer to Drag-N-Drop files into the target Texture folder, I ended up adding over 3,000 duplicate ex: [filename](1).BMP versions of files to the target folder ...instead of being prompted to over-write originals. :oops:

I later discovered my error, and removed the duplicates after also finding out that the individual who (with AFAIK, permission of all authors) put together that very large set of add-on scenery object libraries, had also meticulously already updated and checked for all missing textures !:rotfl:

When I removed the duplicates of those original mapped textures from the \Texture folder, FS was no longer 'sluggish' in areas where objects from those add-on scenery object libraries were placed. :wizard:

FYI: When using ProcMon, if one allows a user aircraft to remain stationary in slew mode, the log process (eventually) slows to a near stop, and then resumes significant file I/O as the aircraft resumes moving and/or the camera is moved with ex: the FS game controller hat-switch or its keyboard command equivalent.

Possibly one might see in ProcMon that certain files or folders are being scanned once the system stabilizes, and one then begins moving the camera in a circle around the user aircraft ? :scratchch

BTW: I have also noted that *.WAV sound files are loaded and unloaded repetitively in the vicinity of placed FSX 'Effect' files which have an assigned duration for Fx parameters, even when the aircraft and/or the camera is not moved.

But, I'm not certain that one could directly filter for specific BGL file names being read by child process data loader threads spawned by FSX that repeatedly search for such file names within add-on scenery layers known to be set 'active' in the FS scenery library GUI.

It might prove to be quicker, easier, and more practical if one considers the vast amount of info logged by ProcMon and the inordinate amount of time it takes to manually scan through it, to instead simply disable groups of library BGLs by toggling their scenery layer on-and-off in the FS scenery library, and to then see when the "scenery library object not found" error stops appearing when panning the user aircraft camera in a circle (ex: after spawned via a saved flight) at the center of scenery locations which throw those errors.

Once a 'suspect' area layer mapped to a \Scenery sub-folder in the FS scenery library GUI has been identified, one can use a process-of-elimination to test any BGLs in that folder to see which one(s) trigger(s) the error message.

NOTE: AFAIK, because SCASM / ASM compiled BGLs are for the most part binary, unless one is a programmer with a knowledge of how to inter-convert Hexadecimal and ASCII, one may not be able to scan files in suspect folders for ASCII strings of Geographic coordinates (in the 'appropriate' section of their BGL file Headers) with a custom FS utility that might identify a local region in which FS has been instructed to load those BGLs.

IIRC, only the mapped BMP texture file names are able to be read as strings of ASCII characters with a Hexadecimal file viewer in SCASM / ASM compiled BGLs.

Although Arno's ModelConverterX offers a Missing Texture finder feature, IIRC, it does not work in Batch mode, thus each BGL library must be imported and the search performed for each object manually.

So, alternatively, perhaps one might otherwise scan for the most frequent cause of non-specific "scenery library object not found" error reports by looking at whether there are any missing textures for scenery objects ...via:

Michael Heise's "FS Library Scan V1.1" (fslibscan11.zip)

"File Description:
This utility will scan FS scenery folders for BGL library files. Unlike BGLScan in the FS SDK, it can cope with both FS9 and FSX library files. Information on library objects like GUIDs, multiple occurrences, required and missing textures is written to csv files. This new version corrects bugs with incorrect missing texture reports. Texture files with alternative ending (e.g. DDS instead of BMP) or existing daylight textures will be found and reported. Certain scenery folders may now be excluded from the search - useful if additional "light" versions would lead to redundant results. "

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=fslibscan11.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

PS
: You may wish to first put Gerrish Gray's Trees and all the various legacy texture sets into an active scenery layer of FS9, as many FS2Kx add-on library objects used ex:

Airport 2.x textures: Common scenery textures
Airport 2.x: Scenery Designer
VOD Textures: Common scenery textures
ASD 2.1 Textures: Common scenery textures
NOVA Gold Textures: Common scenery textures
NOVA Textures: Common scenery textures

...and RWY-12 libraries / texture sets etc.; nearly all of these are still available at flightsim.com:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?93-Must-Have-Files

Hope this might help with the troubleshooting process. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Thanks Gary,
in between I could identify some of my (hundreds) German addon sceneries causing scenery library object not found" error at a certain position (loading flight at startup).

So I tried to use Fslibscan 1.1 but I get an error, perhaps I have no FSX installed?

fslibscan1.jpg

Country
us-illinois
Hi Guenther:

IIUC the way the program works (as described in the ReadMe.txt file), and knowing that the authors FS computer was probably large and complex, containing both a FS9 and FSX installation, in order for such scans to only take as little as ex: 6 minutes on older hardware, when running FSLibScan.exe from "any" FSLibScan11 install folder location, it is likely that one must first have the registry entries for either or both FS versions present ...so that FSLibScan.exe can find them ASAP.

You may wish to "refresh" the required FS registry entries in Windows via ex: this Flight1 freeware utility:

FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool (36KB)
- This tool will repair your FSX or FS9 registry so that the path is valid. Many times certain applications use this path. If it is invalid, some programs may not work.

http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe

Also, be certain to run the FSLibScan11 executable as 'Administrator'

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

Hope these additional considerations might help ! :)

GaryGB

Country
germany
My fs9 registry entry is okay, checked it by regedit and ran FS_Registry_Repair.exe too.

Because I have no FSX, I tried to cheat by creating an empty folder "Flight Simulator X" and copied fs9.exe and renamed it to "fsx.exe". FS_registry_Repair.exe to the hook (I am sport fisher) and "repaired" the registry.
;)

But all in vain, FSLibscan doesnt work...

Country
us-illinois
Hi Guenther:

Command Mode (aka "DOS") syntax only allows long folder and/or file names when inside quotation marks. :pushpin:

Try this:

1.) Put fslibscan.ini and FSLibScan.exe inside the main / root folder of FS2004 (aka "FS9")

2.) Open a command prompt

3.) Type the "change directory path" command to place the Windows path inside your main FS root folder.

4.) Type in: fslibscan.exe "[your folder name goes here inside the quotes]"

For example, on one of my computers I have FS2004 installed on the D: drive in a folder named "FS2004":

When I first open a Command Mode session, the system path is located inside the Windows folder on the C: drive, thus the initial 'Command prompt' will appear as:

C:\Windows>

So my Command (DOS) mode Change Directory command (aka "CHDIR" or "CD") syntax would need to be:

C:\Windows>d: <-- Changes system path to the D: drive

D:\>cd fs2004 <-- Changes system path to the fs2004 sub-folder (aka "sub-directory")

D:\FS2004>fslibscan.exe "Addon Scenery" <-- Runs FSLibScan with a target folder name input parameter
MH's FS Library Scan V1.1 - Copyright (C) 2007 by Michael Heise

Advice: Please close flight simulator and existing versions of
fslibscan*.csv (output files) before running the program...
...well, it's too late now! ;-)

Scanning files...
Extra texture search...

Done!

D:\FS2004><-- When finished, FSLibScan returns to system Command Prompt; DOS session stays open

I also now have (3) files inside my FS2004 sub-folder (aka "sub-directory"): :wizard:

fslibscan_l.csv
fslibscan_t.csv
fslibscan_g.csv

These files can be opened in Windows NotePad, but are more easily viewed in a spreadsheet (ex: Excel, Quattro Pro etc.)

Hope this helps get you started with FSLibScan ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
But FSLibscan crashes after some minutes....

fslibscan2.jpg

I scanned a folder with most of my addon sceneries (e:\FS2004SC)

Later I scanned a single addon scenery (e:\FS2004\"EDOY mit") which caused the "missing library object error" and it worked and showed me 5 GUIDs.
But these 5 GUIDs did not match the error code shown at fs startup at all...

Country
us-illinois
But FSLibscan crashes after some minutes....

Hi Guenther:

The above cited User Virtual Address Space (aka "USERVA") error may be an unresolved developmental coding issue on the part of the FSLibScan author having to do with loading of Borland DLLs used by Delphi into the available address space of the FSLibScan task session when spawned by Windows:

http://www.delphipraxis.net/176814-eoutofmemory-zu-wenig-arbeitsspeicher.html

https://translate.google.com/transl...ory-zu-wenig-arbeitsspeicher.html&prev=search

Possibly the author decided to not fix this vulnerability with FSLibScan because most end users are unlikely to encounter such an error, as it is less likely that FS add-on scenery developers would want to burden the FS internal GUID database and USERVA with pointers to vast numbers of 3D objects all within BGLs inside a huge \Scenery sub-folder mapped to a vast number of textures inside a huge \Texture sub-folder ...linked to an Area layer in the FS scenery library ? :confused:

IIUC, you have put all the scenery library object BGLs into 1 or more huge paired folder chains rather than inside original scenery folders as installed by the Aerosoft German airports / landmarks packages themselves ? :scratchch

IIUC, the USERVA space may be depleted when a folder with too many items is scanned by FSLibScan ?

Perhaps reducing the total number of items being scanned by FSLibScan in one or more very large folders might help ?

FYI: There is also a 'trick' which might be tried to increase the USERVA for 32-bit programs in 32-bit Windows which may allow use of several hundred more MB of address space to be used (the "/3 GB switch" and setting the "LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE" flag in the FSLibScan executable ...with either of 2 tools available from NTCore's website):

* CFF Explorer
http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

...or:

* 4 GB patch
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

The second of the NTCore tools cited above may allow 32-bit programs to utilize more than 3 GB of UVSERVA for a task session on 64-bit Windows when at least 4.5 GB system RAM is installed in the computer.

I scanned a folder with most of my addon sceneries (e:\FS2004SC)

Later I scanned a single addon scenery (e:\FS2004\"EDOY mit") which caused the "missing library object error" and it worked and showed me 5 GUIDs.

But these 5 GUIDs did not match the error code shown at fs startup at all...

Again, IIUC, FS8 / FS9 does not know to report a missing object / library / texture (an incomplete load /render process) unless the "placement" code for the object was loaded from an 'active' scenery BGL.

You may need to disable 'active' scenery layers in the FS scenery library GUI until the errors disappear, in order to find the folders containing the placement BGL(s).

You may need to decompile such placement BGLs in order to compose a list of GUIDs for objects they 'place'.

You may then correlate the 'placed' scenery object GUIDs in those "placement" BGLs with the results of completed scans by FSLibScan for all possible involved scenery library object BGLs containing the actual 3D objects themselves. :pushpin:

NOTE: You may also wish to utilize another FS9 add-on utility: :idea:

Hans Hartmann's SCM2004 Scenery Manager (scm2004.zip)

"File Description:
SCM2004 Scenery management utility. Allow comfortable editing of FS2004 scenery.cfg. Includes functions to add, edit, delete, arrange scenery layers and import/export of scenery sets."

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Hans+Hartmann&CatID=root&Go=Search

"FEATURES
- Add and/or duplicate scenery layers
- Drag and drop layer arrangement (even with multiple layers)
- Cut and paste layer arrangement (even with multiple layers)
- Delete unneeded layers
- Export and import of groups of layers ('area sets') allows you the quickly add and remove scenery you normally don't need. No more problems with the 332 layer limitation.
- Automatic layer renumbering"

By creating custom groups of existing add-on scenery layers as "Area sets" with SCM2004, you may more easily toggle FS scenery library "Area" layers as well as the scenery sub-folder chains (aka "directories") and all files within them that are linked to such 'Area' layers ...between 'active' or 'not-active' status.

One can then more easily load / un-load and test groups of sceneries in multiple 'Area' layers by toggling specifically-named scenery "Area sets" in the FS scenery library via SCM2004.

"Area sets" and any related sub-folder path linking info required by individual 'Area' entries in such groups of layers, can also be exported then removed from- and later imported then moved to- prior or new positions within the FS scenery library 'stack of layers' ...all via the SCM 2004 GUI. :wizard:

BTW: SCM2004 can also work with FSX (via 'trickery' involving sequential CMD mode *.BAT and *.REG files). ;)

CAVEAT: As with FSLibScan and other FS utilities, be certain that SCM2004 is set to "...Run as Administrator".

PS: If the object library and 'placement' BGLs were non-legacy format BGLComp XML-type BGLs, one could use Flight1 Instant Scenery to view a list of scenery object library file names and objects used in a placement BGL that has been "opened" for editing in Instant Scenery.

Instant Scenery can also display "labels" for objects placed by all BGLs set 'active' in the FS scenery library on-screen and in position at the location of any object placement in a live FS flight session ...to more quickly discern what object placements are from "unknown" or otherwise 'missing' library files.

Hope this helps a bit more ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Thanks a lot for the huge amount of helping infos!

In between I could identify 3 scenery layers which cause FS9 to display the mentioned error message.

IIUC this is only true at a certain position.
If I go to another place some other scenery layers could cause "MissingLibraryAlert"s?

You wrote:
"You may need to decompile such placement BGLs in order to compose a list of GUIDs for objects they 'place'.

You may then correlate the 'placed' scenery object GUIDs in those "placement" BGLs with the results of completed scans by FSLibScan for all possible involved scenery library object BGLs containing the actual 3D objects themselves."

I expected that FSLibscan give me the GUIDs if I scan a folder (and it does, if I scan a folder of a decent size):

"
MH's FS Library Scan - GUID occurence list
GUID,occurences,BGL files
{683429B3-D297-48B2-8D19-71C4E7800622},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY-tank_sport.BGL
{18E9241C-5EB6-40A6-A9F6-C9A00CC94BF5},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_DS.BGL
{99FFBBCB-22B2-4DB0-B697-71397422F508},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_DS_1.BGL
{EB5B00DD-AC21-4EB2-9427-6989C50A1B64},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_DS_2.BGL
{5B216F78-409C-D6FE-4286-87AC6397E26E},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\edoy_taxi.bgl
{9C71E79B-0723-4445-8BB2-767DD7EEE2FB},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_zaun_1.BGL

"
But now my problem:
these GUID do not match the hex code in the error message of FS9....
(wether complete nor in parts).

Thanks also for your hint about SCM2004. I used it several years but now I prefer fs_scenery_manager_v1.8.
I do not remember why. It is very userfriendly and allows grouping scenery layers just as you like it.
(continents, countries, regions or what ever you want). You can activate/deactivate these groups by a single click.)

I organized my fs9 scenery files like this: about 10 percent on C:\ and 90 percent on E:\fs2004\
(But of course each addon in one or some more scenery layers)

Excuse my English, school is over since fifty years...
:)

Country
us-illinois
I expected that FSLibscan give me the GUIDs if I scan a folder (and it does, if I scan a folder of a decent size):
"
MH's FS Library Scan - GUID occurence list
GUID,occurences,BGL files
{683429B3-D297-48B2-8D19-71C4E7800622},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY-tank_sport.BGL
{18E9241C-5EB6-40A6-A9F6-C9A00CC94BF5},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_DS.BGL
{99FFBBCB-22B2-4DB0-B697-71397422F508},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_DS_1.BGL
{EB5B00DD-AC21-4EB2-9427-6989C50A1B64},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_DS_2.BGL
{5B216F78-409C-D6FE-4286-87AC6397E26E},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\edoy_taxi.bgl
{9C71E79B-0723-4445-8BB2-767DD7EEE2FB},1,e:\fs2004sc\edoy mit\scenery\EDOY_zaun_1.BGL
"
But now my problem:
these GUID do not match the hex code in the error message of FS9....
(whether complete nor in parts).

Hi Guenther:

Remembering that FSLibScan is able to work with FS9 and/or FSX, depending on what object placement and/or Scenery object library BGLs are scanned, regardless of the sub-folder(s) it is scanning and what FS version BGL format(s) is/are in any such folder(s), FSLibScan will report GUIDs in the FS MDL version format that the GUID is stored within / assigned to ...for each such MDL.

In the case of FS9 MDLs, that GUID is not stored within the MDL, and is only required to be assigned to the MDL externally via the BGLComp XML Library BGL which 'packages' the MDL when it is compiled to a library from BGLComp XML source code.

In the case of FSX MDLs, that GUID is stored within the MDL, and is required to be assigned to the MDL internally; IIRC, it is also still assigned to the MDL externally via the BGLComp XML Library BGL which 'packages' the MDL when it is compiled to a library from BGLComp XML source code.

BTW: Optionally, the FS9 or FSX format GUID for a MDL may be paired with a "friendly name" in text within a "Objects.TXT" file utilized by object placement utilities for greater 'ease of use; such files should be kept inside the same \Scenery sub-folder with the scenery object library BGL itself.

CAVEAT: FS9 MDLs use a different GUID format than FSX MDLs

Arnos' Library Creator XML 2.0 WIKI explains differences in GUID format used for FS9 and FSX MDLs:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Library_Creator_XML_2.0

[EDITED]

The GUIDs you show above are reported in the format associated with FSX MDLs in FSX SDK BGLComp XML scenery object library BGLs, which AFAIK may not read / displayed in FS9.

Possibly this may be due to FSLibScan detecting that you have FSX installed via its Windows registry entries, or perhaps a folder being scanned has 1 or more FSX format MDLs present inside a BGL, and thus FSLibScan might default to reporting GUIDs exclusively in FSX format ?

[END_EDIT]

Otherwise, if indeed the above MDLs are in FSX format, and you wish to utilize the above objects, you may need to attempt conversion to FS9 format via ModelConerterX for use only on your own computer. ;)

FYI: To maintain existing FSX internal GUIDs, they may be converted into FS9 format using ex: GUID Processor 1.0:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/guid-processor.99/

The converted GUID can be utilized when creating a BGLComp XML scenery object library in Library Creator XML.

PS: If you are using Instant Scenery for scenery library object placement, you can configure that utility to only show / make available for use, FS2004-compatible object libraries in its pick-list. :idea:

Note as well, that Instant Scenery is able to work in both FS9 and FSX. :wizard:

Hope this helps a bit more ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
The GUIDs you show above are FSX MDLs in FSX SDK BGLComp XML scenery object library BGLs, which AFAIK may not read / displayed in FS9.

I am totally confused now...
How can a fs9 bgl contain a FSX MDL???

If I import these bgls in MCX I can see the bgl (BGL2XML cannot handle it) and FS9 is displaying the bgl.
EDOY.jpg

Country
us-illinois
I am totally confused now...
How can a fs9 bgl contain a FSX MDL???

Hi Guenther:

Possibly FSLibScan reports GUIDs exclusively in FSX format when it detects that both FS9 and FSX are installed:

* when registry entries for both FS9 and FSX are found in the Windows registry ?

* when specific BGLs in a \Scenery sub-folder from a FSX version of a scenery package also contain legacy / FS9 MDLs ?

Certainly if the BGLs cited above do load in FS9, that suggests against their containing FSX MDLs.

I have edited my post immediately above to minimize further possible confusion by other readers here.

You may wish to utilize Windows RegEdit to make a backup of the FSX registry entries by exporting them into a *.REG file, then temporarily remove them from the FSX registry.

Perhaps then FSLibScan may be allowed to report GUIDs exclusively in legacy FS9 format ?

NOTE: The above FSX registry entries may be restored to the registry by double-clicking the exported *.REG file, and when prompted, allowing the process permission to write the information back into the registry.

FYI: This "scenery library object not found" error message may be due not only to the base 3D model of the object being missing, it could be missing 1 or more directly mapped texture(s), and/or 1 or more indirectly mapped 'seasonal' texture(s).

Additionally, it may also be missing yet another object associated with it via an AttachPoint such as an Effect (*.Fx file), which typically also has a mapped texture that must be present in the [FS install path]\Effects and paired local \Effects\Texture folder.

Hope this helps with further sorting things out ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hi Gary, thanks for your patience!

I used Regedit to delete my (faked) FSX entry.
I deleted my faked FSX folder.

I ran FSLibscan and got exact the same 3 csv files as those I saved before on my desktop...

I suppose it is an effect problem as you wrote, I have to check it.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Guenther:

So, after removing the FSX info above, did FSLibScan report GUIDs in FS9 format this time ?

BTW: I'm not certain as to whether FSLibScan was designed to check Fx files for missing mapped textures, instead of (only) MDLs used for scenery or aircraft; it will be interesting to see if it does check Fx files as well. :scratchch

[EDITED]
If I import these bgls in MCX I can see the bgl (BGL2XML cannot handle it) and FS9 is displaying the bgl.

IIUC, since you mentioned that the EDOY objects cited above were not able to be de-compiled via BGL2XML (which is by design, exclusively a decompiler and not a BGL 'viewer'), that would indicate they may be legacy pre-FS9 format SCASM / ASM 3D models which do not use a MDL file, and thus may not have a "AttachPoint" in the sense as used with MDLs.

[END_EDIT]

The SCASM / ASM placement code for such Effects may or may not be inside the same BGL containing code for the main 'base' 3D model with which it is associated (...or "attached" in a sense comparable to what is done with actual MDL files).

NOTE: Sometimes the Effect code is inside the decompiled BGL as binary data sections, rather than being called as external and discrete Fx files; this can make it nearly impossible for a non-programmer or even a programmer who is not familiar with SCASM / ASM code ...to decipher. :alert:

Again I must alert you to the possibility that it may ultimately be less work to simply re-install the original freeware or pay-ware scenery packages as active entries in the FS9 scenery library via any provided installers, so that all files end up where they are intended to go relative to the FS9 folder structures and/or Area mapping / layer priority scheme required for proper display via positioning within the FS Scenery library stack of layers. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited: