• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Import Google Maps 3D objects

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What kind of format is imported into blender? Maybe MCX can read it as well.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, not really clear to me yet what kind of output RenderDoc gives, but if I have some time I might take a look.

Country
hongkong
This program has problem with several GPU, hope that you are not using one of these GPU:

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 745
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (to be checked)
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (to be checked)
  • AMD Radeon HD7000 Series (tested in a A10 APU)
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Intel integrated GPU HD 4000 (tested in a Surface Pro 3)
(cited from https://blenderartists.org/t/google-maps-models-importer/1153561)

Country
ukraine
instead, I know another program that so far no reported severe bugs: https://github.com/retroplasma/earth-reverse-engineering
An interesting idea, though I had to rewrite all the code.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Maybe MCX can read it as well.
Found an MCX error in importing Wavefront OBJ. Although the old version of MCX imports OBJ correctly.
Fragment OBJ.
https://yadi.sk/d/hcskJSBScmp9Ng
2.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The bug is not so clear from the picture. Is it a texture issue or something else?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The difference between the older and the new version of MCX is that in the new version I am using an external library to read certain formats, including the Wavefront OBJ format. But it seems that library does indeed not read this object correctly.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In the next development release of MCX the old logic will be used again for importing Wavefront OBJ files, instead of the external library.

D

Deleted member 12505

An interesting idea, though I had to rewrite all the code.

Can you expand on that?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: and more importantly once converted can it be streamed and loaded as needed in real time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Country
australia
Can you expand on that?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: and more importantly once converted can it be streamed and loaded as needed in real time?
Assuming that it cannot be streamed into your sim but you have to download and area then generate a BGL and add to your scenery.

Country
us-newyork
It could be streamed - the issue is there is no (published or performant) way to dynamically insert terrain it into the sim. I have discussed an implementation of this with LM at length, but thus far they have not committed to add Terrain related functions to the PDK.

D

Deleted member 12505

I have discussed an implementation of this with LM at length, but thus far they have not committed to add Terrain related functions to the PDK.

How was Tile Proxy accomplishing it?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: has anyone dared ask Google how much they will charge for using their data?

Country
us-newyork
@robains Without passing judgement, TileProxy was quite a hack compared to even some of the popular techniques today.

It utilized the old Pre-FSX method of loading uncompressed photoscenery from disk. It does this by intercepting file system calls from the FE system to load, and dynamically injecting downloaded and processed data into the contents of the file load request. It utilizes a closed source, kernel mode driver to do this that could be glitchy (by both the community and the author's own reports.) You can read about this here: https://www.edtruthan.com/tileproxy/manual.htm#16

Because of this, it didn't support some of the highest resolution imagery of the new (for FSX) QMID64 system, and could only load the aerial texture tiles, not dem meshes nor full 3d objects like the city tiles. It does not replace the core FSX terrain engine or replace the existing tessellation / geometry stages, just modifies the texture that can be displayed.

We have a lot of experiencing operating in this low level space, but I would be firmly against delivering something like this and requiring an end user to escalate UEFI privileges to install an unsigned kernel mode driver that could affect system stability as a workaround for a needed Core API.