• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

IMPORTOGR step

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Messages
34,625
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

Maybe you have already read on my blog that I have added a new importer. This importer uses the OGR library and can read many formats.

http://www.scenerydesign.org/2013/12/ogr-power/

I plan to remove the current IMPORTSHP, IMPORTOSM and IMPORTKML steps in the future, as those formats are also support by the OGR library. But I will wait a few weeks to do so to give you all some more time to try the new IMPORTOGR step and make sure it is bug free.

So please try to use the new step as much as you can, so that we can iron out any bugs that are left.

There is one feature of the old IMPORTOSM step that is not yet available in the new IMPORTOGR, and that is to only load features with certain tags. I will try to add that soon, as that feature is often useful to save time while importing.
 
Hi all,

I have just made a change to the IMPORTOGR step. So if you grab the next development release tomorrow you will see it takes one more attribute. This is a list of required attributes (or use * to read all features). If you provide attributes in that list only features that have at least one of these attributes will be loaded.

So for example to only load buildings and landuse from a OMS file you would provide building;landuse as attribute list.

I have also noticed that the OGR OSM reader is a bit slower than my own (but the OGR one properly supports holes). I'll see if I can optimize performance more.
 
Hi Arno, ImportOGR failed on 3 of 12 SHP files. I changed importer back to IMPORTSHP for the ones that didn't work and it finished them off, I sent off the bug report.
 
Hi Dean,

Could you email me the SHP file for testing as well? I assume those division by zero errors are the ones you talk about (I got a few error reports for them indeed).
 
No worries Arno, let me grab them and zip them up. Will send you a link via FB due to file size.
 
Thanks, I saw the link. I'll check. I think there are some holes without vertices or so, but it's easier to debug if I have a file to test with.
 
those holes may have developed when I tiled out that data through global mapper I probably should have run a filter over it to remove the holes again once I'd tiled, but it was just a rudimentary test.

Running a new test right now and am about 5 mins away from seeing what Salt Lake City will look like now.
 
ScenProc should be robust enough anyway to not crash in such cases. So I'll change that.
 
Back
Top