• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Introduction

Country
us-washington
Mick- eine hertzlich wilkokmen. My Germen isn't to hot and your English is better than my German! :) Bob

mick1960

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I offend myself just looking at the mirror...

Sad to hear, maybe you should buy another mirror. Good you didn't say 'look into the mirror' :)

Mick- eine hertzlich wilkokmen. My Germen isn't to hot and your English is better than my German! :) Bob

Thank you very much! The strange thing is, that even my mother tongue is German, I can express myself much easier in English. German is way to precise, mostly you need a lot more words to say what you want...

Mick!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thank you very much! The strange thing is, that even my mother tongue is German, I can express myself much easier in English. German is way to precise, mostly you need a lot more words to say what you want...

Also, english allows you to play with words a bit without skewing their meaning.

German is perfect to scare foreigners though. Raise your voice a wee bit and watch them jump. :D

http://www.memecenter.com/fun/274395/everything-sounds-angry-in-german
http://memebase.com/2012/02/28/internet-memes-such-an-angry-name/
http://memegenerator.net/instance/10737656

Hi,

It is a lot of fun to speak or at least understand more languages, including platt or hoch Deutsch. Many jokes are based on misunderstandings between one language and the other.
I will spare you the many ones I know except for one that I will never forget and that you will probably not understand either but Arno, e.g. will, for sure.
"There was this Dutch prime minister that was invited some time ago to the farm of George W in Texas (or was it Bill C?). So when he was there and looked around, he said: "So, Mr. president, you f..k horses?" Whereupon the president answered, rather taken aback, " pardon?"
And our Prime Minister goes: " yes, paarden!"
See how difficult it is?
(Paarden (Pferden) is dutch for horses and "fokken" is the dutch word for "raise/breed" but is similar to that 4 letter word in English.)
As regards FS ATC and the FS voicepack, have you ever tried to speak to (for instance) a French AT controller and understood what he said the first time, even though he spoke English?

GHD

Country
england
I thought that everyone in Holland spoke English. However, I went into a police station near Scheveningen to ask directions to an hotel, no one spoke English :D

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi,

It is a lot of fun to speak or at least understand more languages, including platt or hoch Deutsch. Many jokes are based on misunderstandings between one language and the other.

Cute story! Speaking of Dutch, would you believe that some yahoo registered at AVSIM with this "username?" aarskringspier...

...then had the nerve to complain when his account was suspended! :banghead:

:rotfl:
Well, since this is a general chat thread, this is one that really happened to me.
I was invited to have dinner with a family in Sicily by the 'nonna' (grandmother) and I had a very nice 'spaghettata' together with their whole family . Then after dinner, the nonna asked me if I wanted a desert and as we were sitting under a fig tree in the yard, I said: "si, me la sento di una fica" and suddenly the whole family of twenty or so fell silent, looked embarrassed and reproachfully at me and I did not have the faintest why because I only said I would like to have a fresh fig from the tree we sat under (I thought). Unfortunately, a fig is a 'fico' in Italian and not a 'fica' because the latter is another (slang) word for female genitals:eek:.
Their son (my friend) fortunately solved the matter.

mick1960

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Gee, my wife and I still try to catch breath. This thread develops to a highlight!

I have a story too:

After one year in Indonesia I thought I know the language quite well. We always had at least ten children as visitors in our house and I wanted to tell them that I like potatoes very much. So I said

Saya suka kentut!

Half a second later all children rolling on the floor laughing.

I should have said

Saya suka kentang!

Later my wife explained to me, that kentut means fart...

Mick!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Back in the ancient days when I was still a pre-adolescent, my family and I lived in Tehran, Iran (my dad was an electronics engineer working for the FAA and was on "Contract Loan" to the USAID)...

Anyway, my mother was sometimes a bit clumsy with her pronunciation, so when she tried to be polite to our driver one day, she said (spelled phonetically) "Hale shoma shetor-e" when she should have said "Hale shoma chetor-e"... only difference is the soft "sh" versus the hard "ch" sound.

I thought the driver was going to explode in anger, but after a few tense moments, he must have thought things through carefully and burst out laughing...

My poor mom was beginning to turn a very bright shade of red, and when the driver managed to regain some speech, he carefully explained that instead of asking "How is your day?" mother had instead asked "How is your whore?" :rotfl:

Country
us-washington
ok- ok ! tha'ts it! You guys are speaking in xml code again! bwahahahaha! Bill- Elizebeth I spoken about 9 languages. She could offend EVERYONE! hahahaa

See? we're just family here. Every once in a while roby or N4GIX has to tell me to go stand in the corner.... or they say.... Hey! I thought I told you to stay in the truck!

I really should have brushed up on my German in the past. i would try out my german now and then on the ski lift if I noticed the fellow next to me was German or austrian. I guess my pronunciation was decent becaus they would luanch into a fine conversatin which I would then have to ask- Lansam, Bitte. (spelling). They would always say- no- no keep speaking german you are doing well!!! i was strugling to get verb conjugations right, syntax right and blowing it left and right! :) Bob

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Same for me and french. As long as its kept it clean and slow, I have no trouble following a conversation.
As soon as they burst into day-to-day slang or, worse, teeager speak, however...

At least, you cannot claim your introduction lacked response, Mick!
And we sure did have a good time reading it as well.
Wish you good luck with finding answers on this site to your FS development questions.
And contrary to what you may think now, this is a serious site:).
A la prochaine,

Roby

mick1960

Resource contributor
Country
germany
At least, you cannot claim your introduction lacked response, Mick!

Definitely not!

And we sure did have a good time reading it as well.

Oh yes, rarely laughed so much...

Wish you good luck with finding answers on this site to your FS development questions.

I am sure, with this kind of community.

And contrary to what you may think now, this is a serious site:)

For me a most important indicator to take somebody serious is, how serious this person takes himself. The less, the better :)

Hihi, still have to giggle about "...pardon?"

Mick!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
As a concert organist, I can certainly appreciate the enormous talent this gentleman brings to the stage!

Thanks for the link. Oddly enough, I've never heard of him before now! :D

Country
us-washington
So- Bill L. do you have a Hammond B3? If so - you're hired! Bring yoursefl and it to Ione, WA. USA and join our band. Oh- btw- no parallel fifths! <G>

In the book Innocents Abroad- Mark Twain- a sort of travelog of his vacation in 1867 to the middle east via the Azores, gibraltar, spain, marsailles, up through the rest of France for the International Exsposition then back to the Mediterrainian, it seems he and fellow travelers had a bit of a time speaking and understanding the French in Marsailles. Is the dialect a bit different in that part of France? Bob

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
So- Bill L. do you have a Hammond B3? If so - you're hired! Bring yoursefl and it to Ione, WA. USA and join our band. Oh- btw- no parallel fifths! <G>

No, I have a very heavily customized Conn 650 Artiste console. I gutted all of the electronics and have it "midified" with three P3/486 computers running custom pipe organ soundfonts. Here is a sample of what it sounds like (recorded directly from the mixer's output).

J. L. Krebs "Sleepers Awake," which is a familar hymn with a very interesting counterpointed melody...

http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix/PipeOrgan/J_L_Krebs_Sleepers_Wak.mp3

Louis-Nicolas Clérambault: Basse et Dessus de Trompette (http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix/PipeOrgan/Basse_et_Dessus_de_Trompette_02.mp3)

I bet very few have ever heard this in its entirety! I must confess I usually "camp it up" just a bit, 'cause I get tired of playing it the same way all the time! :)

Mendelsohn: Wedding March (http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix/PipeOrgan/Wedding_March.mp3)

And finally, lest anyone think I'm serious all the time...

"Just a Closer Walk" (http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix/PipeOrgan/justacloserwalkjazzed_2.mp3)

Attachments

• conn_650_004_400.jpg
    conn_650_004_400.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Country
us-washington
I will listen to these all asap. Keep in mind I play bass- Fender P bass. I cannot read music but I have a very good concept of the fundamentals. many piano lessons when I was a kid. (Remember- when the president plays piano... all kids had to take piano lessons. When the pres plays golf- all kids take golf lessons!!!) ego- Harry and Ike did it to us!

Our band is kind of hard rock but not heavy metal crap. This isn't my cup of tea but the guys write some interesting stuff with some nice riffs, turn-arounds, breaks, etc. I'm more into fusion, funk, blues, country- made more money playing country than anything else. country is easy but very clean and precise. done some barbershop- hard work but so much fun!!!

Love Bach, Prokoviev (spelliing), Pachabel, Racmoninov (sp), Listz, Chopin, Beethoven, and so many others.