Invisible Overruns

Hi there. First let me say I'm loving ADE. I've been able to do some pretty cool stuff with my home airport.

Now, I'm having a problem with runway overruns. When I select my runway and select to show overruns, ADE shows them on the display. However, when I go into FSX, the overruns don't show up.

Has anyone experienced this, or is it just me?

Thanks.

BK

When I select my runway and select to show overruns
Hello Bob and welcome to ADE

Does this airport you are designing already have a overrun or are you adding one.

Adding one requires selecting the Primary/Secondary menu tab in the runway properties.

If you placed a radio button in the overrun circle then try using the Blastpad circle instead. They are the same and I think ADE understands Blastpad over the word overrun in the XML to compiled BGL.

Last edited:
I tried it, Jim. Selected overun and saved and compiled...none showed in FSX...went to select blastpad but when I opened the dialogue box it was already selected...so I saved, compiled and still no markings in FSX

Derrick

I have no problem seeing a new Blastpad in FSX once I compile and FSX recognizes/updates the database.

Overruns do not show up in FSX based on edge payment.

Here is my research post back in 03/07/2007

Using AFCAD in FS9 it always set edgePavement="TRUE"

Using ADE in FSX it always sets edgePavement="FALSE"

If the runway Marking records has edgePavement="TRUE" then Overruns are not honored but <OffsetThreshold and < Blastpads are honored.

If the runway Marking records has edgePavement="FALSE" then Overruns are honored the same as <OffsetThreshold and < Blastpads.

With this in mind we may want to hard code all edgePavement="FALSE" which everything shows or make a note that if a designer sets "TRUE" and then trys to add a Overrun it will not display.

Last edited:
Bob

After reviewing my research that I did back in March let me simplify the following.

A Overrun and a Blastpad are basically the same. Same meaning they add an extension to the runway end that is not understood by FSX as part of the runway.

Now the difference between a Overrun and Blastpad is wheather you want the Yellow chevron lines to show or not.

A Overrun has no yellow chevron lines
A Blastpad has yellow chevron lines

Here is the catch

If you want a overrun then you must untick the box in the runway markings tab that says "Edge Payment" and select Overrun in the Primary/Secondary Tab

If you want a Blastpad you must place a checkmark in the runway markings tab that says "Edge Payment" and select Blastpad in the Primary/Secondary Tab.

Hope this is understandable. Sometimes my research dates back to a point that I even forget what I researched.

Bob, I found the problem on my machine...don't know if it will help you. I had two different version of my airport in the addon scenery/scenery folder. Removing the one without the blastpads fixed things.

Derrick

If you want a overrun then you must untick the box in the runway markings tab that says "Edge Payment" and select Overrun in the Primary/Secondary Tab

If you want a Blastpad you must place a checkmark in the runway markings tab that says "Edge Payment" and select Blastpad in the Primary/Secondary Tab.
Thanks. I tried this and it is now correctly showing the overrun and blastpads in FSX.