• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Is it not possible to rename a replacement airport?

Hi,

some days ago i started with a new project (SDK v12.0) and did a replacemant airport. I renamed it in the project but the sim shows always the old name of the airport.
Any ideas?

Thanks Klaus

Hi,

some days ago i started with a new project (SDK v12.0) and did a replacemant airport. I renamed it in the project but the sim shows always the old name of the airport.
Any ideas?

Thanks Klaus
Hi Klaus, where did You change the name? Do You mean the name od the airport in the XML file or the name in your project perhaps? I do all these kind of changes in the xml file outside the scenery editor because it's faster. The name that's displayed in the search result in the main menue of MSFS where you decide what's your source and destination can always be changed through the airport statement in the XML file. What cannot be changed is the ident (ICAO code) of the airport because that's the inique identifier for MSFS. This is double checked by the simulator logic. It's even checking if the stock position is devating from the new lon/lat value and is digarding any changes for this airport outside a certain value range. Regards Guido

I've never managed to do it for an existing airport. I assume the ICAO is linked to the name in some sort of internal database that you can't access.

It's annoying because there are quite a few places that use a name that no one does in the real world.

Last edited:
Hi, I double checked it and superspud is wright, I thought I also used it for a substitution of an airport but it's not working. It only works for created airports or helipads or anything that's not already defined by Asobo.

Moin Moin (Hi in northern Germany) thanks for checking. But what do i use for the title for the File at Flightsim.to? The real Name or the Asobo Name? So many decisions. ;):rolleyes:

Moin Moin (Hi in northern Germany) thanks for checking. But what do i use for the title for the File at Flightsim.to? The real Name or the Asobo Name? So many decisions. ;)

Die Meisten nehmen "Airport name (ICAO)" aber schau Dir einfach mal ein par an und dann mach es wie Du magst. Man sollte nur erkennen können, was es ist...

I also was trying to figure out how to rename an existing airport because one that I'm working on has a typo in the name. I found that if you go to where your "Packages" folder is, open the "Official" folder, there is a folder in there called "Steam". I don't know if this is correct for the Microsoft store version, but I would guess so. Open the "Steam" folder and find the folder named "fs-base". Inside the "fs-base" folder should be a couple .locPak files for various languages. Open whatever file is your language, for example en-US.locPak, in a text editor. Inside is, I believe, all of the airports in the sim and their names, locations, etc. If you search for and change the name of the airport it will update the name in the sim menu. Unfortunately this is the only way I've found and isn't easy for most people just downloading scenery who won't want to modify files.

Hi, thanks for the info! I guess this is to complicated for the average simmer ;) For now i will leave the names.

I also was trying to figure out how to rename an existing airport because one that I'm working on has a typo in the name. I found that if you go to where your "Packages" folder is, open the "Official" folder, there is a folder in there called "Steam". I don't know if this is correct for the Microsoft store version, but I would guess so. Open the "Steam" folder and find the folder named "fs-base". Inside the "fs-base" folder should be a couple .locPak files for various languages. Open whatever file is your language, for example en-US.locPak, in a text editor. Inside is, I believe, all of the airports in the sim and their names, locations, etc. If you search for and change the name of the airport it will update the name in the sim menu. Unfortunately this is the only way I've found and isn't easy for most people just downloading scenery who won't want to modify files.
But changing this file (I have a similar problem: LICU is Helipad Ustica Icao and not Guido Bosio Airstirp), is there no ctd risk?

But changing this file (I have a similar problem: LICU is Helipad Ustica Icao and not Guido Bosio Airstirp), is there no ctd risk?
There might be. I haven't tried testing for a ctd specifically. Maybe if you misspell one of the properties for the airport name. For example, typing LICU.city as LICU.ciyt. I'm guessing it would either crash or just not display that information.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
I don't think the above ( altering lokPak files) would work at all. Here's what we can do:

There are very few identifiers in the default MSFS (or the real world), that start with Q. And the xml code for airports can have up to 5 characters. So If I want to rename Lake Lawn Airport as Rhumbaflappy International Airport, I can do so if I first mark C59 as 'Closed', and then create QC59, at the same location.

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!-- Created by Airport Design Editor (ADE) on 5/16/2021 -->
<!-- Altrered by Richard Ludowise on 5/16/2021 -->
<FSData
    version="9.0"
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<DeleteNavigation
        deleteAllWaypoints="FALSE"
        deleteAllVORs="FALSE"
        deleteAllNDBs="FALSE"
        deleteAllTerminalWaypoints="FALSE"
        deleteAllTerminalNDBs="FALSE"
        deleteAllILSs="FALSE"
        deleteAllApproaches="FALSE"
        deleteAllDepartures="FALSE"
        deleteAllArrivals="FALSE"
        deleteAllFrequencies="FALSE"
        />

<!-- Close C59 -->
    <Airport
        state="Wisconsin"
        city="Delavan"
        name="Lake Lawn"
        lat="42.6341250166297"
        lon="-88.6011305451393"
        alt="296.57M"
        magvar="2"
        trafficScalar="0.7"
        airportTestRadius="5000.0M"
        altType="GEOID"
        isOnTIN="FALSE"
        onlyAddIfReplace="FALSE"
        applyFlatten="FALSE"
        starAirport="FALSE"
        closed="TRUE"
        groundMergingTransfertBright="0"
        groundMergingTransfertDark="0"
        ident="C59"
        >
                <DeleteAirport
                    deleteAllApproaches="TRUE"
                    deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
                    deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
                    deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
                    deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"
                    deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
                    deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
                    deleteAllControlTowers="TRUE"
                    deleteAllJetways="TRUE"
                    deleteAllBoundaryFences="TRUE"
                    deleteAllBlastFences="TRUE"
                    deleteAllArrivals="TRUE"
                    deleteAllDepartures="TRUE"
                    deleteAllILSs="TRUE"
                    deleteAllLightSupports="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTerminalNDBs="TRUE"
                    deleteAllPaintedElements="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTaxiwaySigns="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTerminalWaypoints="TRUE"
                />
    </Airport>
<!-- Create QC59 -->
    <Airport
        country="United States of America"
        state="Wisconsin"
        city="Delavan"
        name="Rhumbaflappy International Airport"
        lat="42.6341250166297"
        lon="-88.6011305451393"
        alt="296.57M"
        magvar="2"
        trafficScalar="0.7"
        altType="GEOID"
        isOnTIN="FALSE"
        onlyAddIfReplace="FALSE"
        applyFlatten="FALSE"
        starAirport="FALSE"
        closed="FALSE"
        ident="qC59"
        >

<!-- and so on..... -->

Last edited:
I don't think the above ( altering lokPak files) would work at all. Here's what we can do:

There are very few identifiers in the default MSFS (or the real world), that start with Q. And the xml code for airports can have up to 5 characters. So If I want to rename Lake Lawn Airport as Rhumbaflappy International Airport, I can do so if I first mark C59 as 'Closed', and then create QC59, at the same location.

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!-- Created by Airport Design Editor (ADE) on 5/16/2021 -->
<!-- Altrered by Richard Ludowise on 5/16/2021 -->
<FSData
    version="9.0"
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<DeleteNavigation
        deleteAllWaypoints="FALSE"
        deleteAllVORs="FALSE"
        deleteAllNDBs="FALSE"
        deleteAllTerminalWaypoints="FALSE"
        deleteAllTerminalNDBs="FALSE"
        deleteAllILSs="FALSE"
        deleteAllApproaches="FALSE"
        deleteAllDepartures="FALSE"
        deleteAllArrivals="FALSE"
        deleteAllFrequencies="FALSE"
        />

<!-- Close C59 -->
    <Airport
        state="Wisconsin"
        city="Delavan"
        name="Lake Lawn"
        lat="42.6341250166297"
        lon="-88.6011305451393"
        alt="296.57M"
        magvar="2"
        trafficScalar="0.7"
        altType="GEOID"
        isOnTIN="FALSE"
        onlyAddIfReplace="FALSE"
        applyFlatten="FALSE"
        starAirport="FALSE"
        closed="TRUE"
        ident="C59"
        >
                <DeleteAirport
                    deleteAllApproaches="TRUE"
                    deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
                    deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
                    deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
                    deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"
                    deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
                    deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
                    deleteAllControlTowers="TRUE"
                    deleteAllJetways="TRUE"
                    deleteAllBoundaryFences="TRUE"
                    deleteAllBlastFences="TRUE"
                    deleteAllArrivals="TRUE"
                    deleteAllDepartures="TRUE"
                    deleteAllILSs="TRUE"
                    deleteAllLightSupports="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTerminalNDBs="TRUE"
                    deleteAllPaintedElements="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTaxiwaySigns="TRUE"
                    deleteAllTerminalWaypoints="TRUE"
                />
    </Airport>
<!-- Create QC59 -->
    <Airport
        country="United States of America"
        state="Wisconsin"
        city="Delavan"
        name="Rhumbaflappy International Airport"
        lat="42.6341250166297"
        lon="-88.6011305451393"
        alt="296.57M"
        magvar="2"
        trafficScalar="0.7"
        altType="GEOID"
        isOnTIN="FALSE"
        onlyAddIfReplace="FALSE"
        applyFlatten="FALSE"
        starAirport="FALSE"
        closed="FALSE"
        ident="qC59"
        >

<!-- and so on..... -->
Hi,

I tried this method to rename an default title airport but it doesn't works (I mean the title is not taken in game by msfs2020)
Too bad
I guess we will need to wait to be granted to modify the original title (name) of airports listed by asobo

Have a nice day