• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Just downloaded Prepar3D V2 Academic...WOW.

In the minuscule amount of free time that I have--between college, work, eating and bathing--I decided that 60 dollars was burning a hole in my pocket (not really) and pulled the trigger on P3D Academic. I know I'm a little late jumping on the P3D train, but I suddenly felt the urge to tell as many people as possible how awesome it is, even if you already know it. :p

While the first loading screen did its usual s...l...o...w increase from 0-30%, I anxiously thought "This better be worth my hard earned 60 bucks"...Sure enough, when it finally put my F-22 on the runway, I practically had to cut a hole in the floor to retrieve my dropped jaw. THIS IS HOW A FLIGHT SIM SHOULD BE. The new DirectX 11 shading is what I had been trying to achieve with ENB series all along in FSX, and then some. HDR feels so much more "real" than SweetFX or ENB, and doesn't come with the incessant glare that ENB brings with its over-exaggerated, washed-out bloom effects.

Overall performance is also GREATLY improved over FSX, although many others I hear are reporting the contrary. :confused:? Everything is buttery smooth for me, and those infamous micro stutters have finally been abolished. My upgrade to Windows 10 was causing a lot of stability issues with FSX and it's nice to finally have a reliable, stable platform that doesn't freeze up or crash every 5 minutes.

Just my 2 cents. It sort of saddens but excites me at the same time: I'm never going back to FSX. :cool: P3D is a much better use of 20 gigabytes on my SSD for what it's worth.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Well, if it's out within the next 60 days, Ken can request a "refund" and then buy a v3.0 license. In the meantime, he can have FUN!

Ozzie.....you do know P3D v3.0 will be out very very soon, right??

Ken
...Once again, I'm way behind the times. :(

Also, I thought that upgrades were free after you purchase a license. That must only apply to patches but not major releases...DRAT.
Well, if it's out within the next 60 days, Ken can request a "refund" and then buy a v3.0 license. In the meantime, he can have FUN!
How would one go about requesting a refund? :confused: Not that I'm unhappy with V2.5, but if there's anything improved over this version, I'll have to see it to believe it. (Besides the 64-bit upgrade, which I'd love to see; is this supposed to be shipping with 3.0??)

No he can't. We've been over this so often. Put all such thoughts from your mind. Expunge them. They were never considered, far less voiced. There is no fun, no entertainment. Return to your work, nothing happening here, move along people...
:rotfl:

Oops, now I'm having fun just reading about P3D, is that allowed?

P3D V3 is coming out soon, then I'd better install this "new" V2.5 I've had sitting on my hard drive for six months. I don't see myself upgrading to V3 for sometime yet, as I have way too much software for FSX and P3D V2*, and I hear most companies won't be so kind this time when it comes to upgrading again.

Of course I may eat my words when I start to hear how incredible it is. We'll see.

Cheers,

Scott

n4gix

Resource contributor
While I can't say what is in v3.x I can at least say what is not. It is not 64bit or DX12, but that's not really such a big deal at this point.

Yeah, dont worry or think about V3. Think about what you have now. Its danged awesome. Glad you tried it. Its one great simulator. I still cant believe some hate it and havent even tried it. No memory buildup crashes, no pink runways, no hopping planes, no 15 FPS with studdering and shreading on the screen.

The most amazing shading's.... The PFD and MFD screens look so real when the sun hits them.

Its a whole new world.... It saved me from leaving FSX altogether.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Lest what I wrote be misunderstood, what I mean is that there is a TON of new and improved stuff in v3.0. Enough so that the rest becomes not so important in the larger scheme of things.

Heretic

Resource contributor
I still cant believe some hate it and havent even tried it.
I'd love to try P3D, maybe even on a subscription basis (ist that still $10/month?) but those eejits still only accept credit cards and I'm sure as hell not getting one for a single purchase.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
I'd love to try P3D, maybe even on a subscription basis (ist that still $10/month?) but those eejits still only accept credit cards and I'm sure as hell not getting one for a single purchase.
If you have a savings/checking account at your local bank get a debit card, it's not the same as a credit card but works for online purchases. Nobody carries cash anymore.

You can get a Visa gift card at stores, Bjoern.

Also, you can get a one-time-purchase at $10.00 and it will not charge you again. Then you can try it and see what you think.

Heretic

Resource contributor
If you have a savings/checking account at your local bank get a debit card, it's not the same as a credit card but works for online purchases. Nobody carries cash anymore.
Debit cards (EC/Maestro) are standard issue when opening a bank account in this country, but they aren't equvalent to credit cards. They do not work for online purchases, only for payment in shops, withdrawing cash or at other terminals. Payment for online purchases is either achieved via direct transaction through the bank's website, permission for withdrawal from your account or via third-party providers (Paypal, Quick Transaction).

Credit cards in the classical sense (Master, VISA, AmEx, etc...) are quite rare here and most people I know only have them because they needed them for travelling abroad or because of company policy.

"eejits?" Would ye credit it, it's Lachlan MacHeretic that it is, och aye. I didna ken ye did impressions, mon!
I thought this was more of an irish expression. Guess I need to rewatch "Father Ted" to brush up on my irish insults.

You can get a Visa gift card at stores, Bjoern.

Also, you can get a one-time-purchase at $10.00 and it will not charge you again. Then you can try it and see what you think.
They don't have that here. The cheapest option is a VISA prepaid card for 30€/$40 p.a. plus 1% transaction fee when paying in foreign currencies. Not really an option.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Still don't understand all the Credit Card kinda thingy's. Nor I understand why most foreign countries don't simply allow bank transfer.
Bit off-topic though, but anyway..

n4gix

Resource contributor
Credit cards in the classical sense (Master, VISA, AmEx, etc...) are quite rare here and most people I know only have them because they needed them for travelling abroad or because of company policy.
Wow! I don't know what I'd do without my Debit/Visa tied to my checking and savings accounts, my Chase Visa, Amazon.com Visa, Discover iT, and American Express Platinum Express* cards.

I've got one more coming in the mail from Barclay Bank. The main reason was the 8% rate, but also it will boost my FICO credit score by lowering my credit/debt ratio. I keep my cards well under control and make certain to pay entire balances in full about a week before they report to the credit bureaus.

I find it highly ironic that now that I my income is limited to my miserable $636/mo plus what I make from flight sim development has me with a higher credit rating than I had even ten years ago when I was one of the VP's for La-Z-Boy! :scratchch

*The chief reason I got the AMEX PE was because of the 6% Cashback for all grocery store purchases. :rotfl:

Heretic

Resource contributor
To bring this thread mildly back on track:
What's the notable new stuff in P3D v3 that warrants this jump in version numbering?

Works in both Scots and Irish idiom, sure 'tis.
One of a kind (as long as it goes against the English). :D

Still don't understand all the Credit Card kinda thingy's. Nor I understand why most foreign countries don't simply allow bank transfer.
Bit off-topic though, but anyway..
Especially since the advent of the IBAN and BIC codes.

Wow! I don't know what I'd do without my Debit/Visa tied to my checking and savings accounts, my Chase Visa, Amazon.com Visa, Discover iT, and American Express Platinum Express* cards.

I've got one more coming in the mail from Barclay Bank. The main reason was the 8% rate, but also it will boost my FICO credit score by lowering my credit/debt ratio. I keep my cards well under control and make certain to pay entire balances in full about a week before they report to the credit bureaus.

I find it highly ironic that now that I my income is limited to my miserable $636/mo plus what I make from flight sim development has me with a higher credit rating than I had even ten years ago when I was one of the VP's for La-Z-Boy! :scratchch

*The chief reason I got the AMEX PE was because of the 6% Cashback for all grocery store purchases. :rotfl:
Cashback is possible here as well, but you need an extra card from an extra company and need to buy your stuff at certain stores. After two years of shopping for groceries, you can invest your savings into a new set of pots and pans or kitchen knives made of ceramics.

Your amount of credit cards would drive me crazy.

Is your credit rating done by your bank?
There's a central (federal?) service for this here, but it only collects negative credit events like outstanding payments.