Land class failed BGL compile

Still not sure what method for adding land class polygons is the best, ADE or SBuilderX. Anyway I'm not able to even try out SBuilderX on land class design because it closes down every time I compile a simple 1 polygon land class. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Hi Chris:

If you tell us more about what your work-flow steps were, perhaps we could help you. ;)

For example, we need to know what you mean by "I'm not able to even try out SBuilderX on land class design because it closes down every time I compile a simple 1 polygon land class.".

Do you mean that SBuilderX crashes to the desktop when you select a polygon object and then try to 'BGL Compile' ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Hi Chris,

From your last post it would appear that SBX crashes after you select "BGL compile". If that is correct I would firstly check FSX SETTINGS to ensure that they are all set up correctly.
I would then perhaps consider reinstalling SBX (after you backup all your projects) in case SCASM has somehow become corrupted (SCASM is the compiler used within SBX).

If this doesn't fix it Gary is probably the best person to sort this out.

Regards

For some odd reason as well some of my objects that I create on SBX are solid color on FSX. I haven't messed with any files containing those textures.

Have you tried creating any scenery with those texture polys using Airport Design Editor to see if that creates the same problem?
Maybe an FSX file is playing up.

Gary I'm sure will have some good ideas to look at.

Hi Chris:

[EDITED]

What version of Windows are you using ?

What version of SBuilderX are you using ?

I found older threads in which you indicated you were using Windows 8 and SBuilderX version 3.14.

You also previously reported that your computer is:

Toshiba Satellite I3 1.80 GHz 4 gig ram 64 op system Windows 8 500 gig hd

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sketchup-slow-as-molasses.441390/#post-784544

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/setting-up-sbuilderx-on-fsx-steam.439636/#post-767640

...therefore you are likely running Windows 8 64-Bit.

So my initial recommendation to you now is
:

1.) Save your existing project as a *.SBP file

2.) Export your project as a *.SBX file

3.) Download and install SBuilderX version 3.15:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

4.) Run SBuilderX version 3.15 as Administrator

5.) Import your exported *.SBX file, 'select' the LC polygon, and see if it successfully compiles it to a BGL.

Let us know how this works for you. ;)

PS: Is the following product the same hardware configuration as the Toshiba laptop you are describing above ?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216043

If so, that 'may' mean that you have a embedded Intel® HD Graphics 4000 chip-set.

You may be able to upgrade your video drivers (including OpenGL version support) via these Intel web pages:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005575/graphics-drivers.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-4000.html

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Yup, that's all correct. I'll look into what you are suggesting. May be a bit before I get back to you. Thanks.

Gary, I have downloaded the new version. I still have the other versions, but in separate folders. All of my paths seem to be right afaik. When trying to load up the image tiles nothing shows up. Google Earth tile was on it, I did move it to see if any changes were made. Here's a video of what I have. I have not downloaded the video drives. The 314 version still works, just not on the above subject.

Hi Chris:

IIUC:

[EDITED]

* You want to utilize SBuilderX315 to download aerial imagery tiles for use in creating custom photo-real land class textures in a SDK Resample BGL.

* You are not able to see those downloaded aerial imagery tiles within the SBuilderX work-space after they are downloaded via:

SBuilderX Menu > View > Show Background

[END_EDIT]

Regarding your video:

Based on Geographic coordinates seen in the status bar at the bottom of SBuilderX' work-space, your map view is not centered on the project area.

I recommend that you identify a point in the center of your current project area, and manually enter it into the SBuilderX.ini file before downloading tiles etc..

BTW: When one manually enters the Geographic coordinates of a project du jour as the default "start location" in the SBuilder.ini :

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-background-not-showing-up.440471/#post-775811

...the SBuilderX background image in the work-space, and the web tile server "down-loader" dialogs all work more easily.

FYI: Although manually entering the "Go To Position" coordinates and/or using SBuilderX when 'connected' to a live FS flight session (either FS9 or FSX) via FSUIPC can certainly help in many cases, IMHO, it is preferable to also change the Geographic coordinates of that default "start location" in the SBuilderX "initialization" file (aka "Sbuilder.ini"), as that helps SBuilderX to 'manually' zoom / pan / scroll properly when working with displayed scenery content within its work-space when working in a project location area over multiple SBuilderX task sessions.

Otherwise, the Geographic extent to which one is able to successfully 'manually' zoom / pan / scroll is limited when working with displayed scenery content within SBuilderX's work-space, and the requested area one attempts to visualize may not stay in view, as the work-space "background" keeps shifting back to a position closer to the default Geographic coordinates for a "central start location" specified within the SBuilder.ini file. ;)

To do this, one must edit the pertinent lines in the SBuilderX.ini file to set the center of the Map background at the Geographic center of your own project area rather than the default one in Portugal via: :idea:

SBuilderX Menu > Edit > Edit INI file... < SBuilderX.ini file opens in Windows NotePad >

NOTE: Your Google Earth Placemark (decimal) Geographic coordinates in your YouTube video linked above: Latitude = 35.22201 Longitude = -112.4857

[Main]
LonIniCenter=-9.136076 <-- Your own project's central Longitude goes here
LatIniCenter= 38.7813203 <-- Your own project's central Latitude goes here
DecimalDegrees=True
MeasuringMeters=True
BGLFolder=C:\MyPrograms\SBuilderX315\Scenery <-- Your own project's compiled BGL 'active' \Scenery folder path goes here
OriginalTerrainCFG=False
NameOfSim=FSX
SimPath=D:\Flight Simulator X <-- Your own FSX install folder path goes here

1.) When configuration of your SBuilderX project is completed via editing "SBuilderX.ini" in Windows NotePad:

.....a.) In Windows NotePad Menu > File > Save As... > "Save as type" field, set to "All Files (*.*)" (do not click OK yet)

.....b.) In NotePad Menu > File > Save As... > "Save In" field, browse to [SBuilderX install path] folder; double-click to select it

2.) Back in NotePad Menu > File > Save As... browse dialog, click "OK"

.....a.) When prompted to over-write SBuilderX.ini, click "YES" to save your edits to that file.

3.) Exit and re-start SBuilderX (...or the above changes will not yet take effect) :alert:

PS: I also recommend that you configure Google Earth to use Decimal Geographic coordinates:

Google Earth Menu > Tools > Options > {3D View} tab > Show Lat/Long > 'tick' "Show Decimal Degrees > 'click' [Apply] and [OK] buttons

Let me know how this works for you. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Ok, I got the satellite imagery to show up. As the video shows I did not get an error, but I have no BGL file in the Tools folder. I took a snapshot of the quick window that popped up. The mystery continues.
Capture.PNG

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
Vector polygons are compiled in the Tools/Shapes folder. They are then copied to the projects designated scenery folder.

You are confusing terms. Landclass BGLs are made by resample and blanket large square areas. Photoreal BGLs are also made by resample, and place photo-images onto the ground (covering the underlying landclass).

Vector polygons (as you use above) are made by Shp2Vec, and also cover the underlying landclass blanket. They can be landclass image types, and do respond to seasonal changes.

You need to read the SDK, and you also need to use the Windows File Manager to study the folders of SBuilderX. SBuilderX has a pretty good help file as well.

Also, why are you making a map of the area, and why are you mixing Google Earth in this? Neither have anything to do with vector polygons. Just draw the polygon over your preferred background in SBuilderX, and compile the thing.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/land-class-failed-bgl-compile.441857/post-791919

No, not exactly. Whether It'd be ADE or SBX I'd like to figure the best way to design landclass.
When working in SBuilderX, it may be best to use this term: "CVX Vector Polygon - Textured with Land Class type # [xxx], compiled with SHP2VEC"

Certainly one may be inclined to 'describe' a CVX vector polygon object as "Land Class" because it enables display of the Land Class type # and Autogen. :rolleyes:

But, to avoid confusing a "Custom Local Land Class" BGL compiled by SDK Resample from a specific source image file format that changes what default local Land Class texture and Autogen is displayed at run time, IMHO, we must always clearly distinguish a CVX Vector Polygon from a 'custom local land class' BGL. :pushpin:

PS: Thanks again to Shaun for his good intentions by linking to his work-flow to create a "Custom Local Land Class" BGL compiled by SDK Resample. :)

GaryGB

Last edited: