• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Landclass and Landclassspoly

Angelus1971

Resource contributor
Messages
195
Country
scotland
This is not really a bug but I would say a feature of M$.

I've been trying to change the Landclass of the NE of Scotland as M$ has got it so wrong you would think they never loooked at a satellite map. (Well, they didn't when it come to the coastline!!)

I had laid down a Landclasspoly of "Grass_Crops" and wanted to cut a Polyhole in it to show location specific terrain like grass, cement, etc, but for the past 4-5 weeks could never get it to work properly. I would get other partial holes and my other terrain would disappear. Other landclasspoly's like "Grass" worked perfectly well.

It wasn't till I tagged the area with "LANDCLASS_GRASS_CROPS" that it worked.

Dont know if it is M$ or FSX KML but it seems strange that the poly dosen't allows holes to be cut in it and the LANCLASS does.

I was wondering if anyone else has come accross anything similar or as i suspect, it was just me :)
 
Not sure...

But for big areas I use landclass tiles (ie tags start with LANDCLASS_) and for small towns I use landclass polys (ie tags start with LANDCLASSPOLY_).

The thing to remember is that FSX KML will place land class tiles based on the ordering in your KML file whereas with landclasspolys the priority is determined by the FSX terrain.cfg file.

That probably explains why it worked for LandclassPoly_Grasscrops and not LandclassPoly_Grass, because the former had a higher render priority in the fsx terrain.cfg file and so appeared on top of the lower priority polys underneath.

You can also cut a hole in using POLYGONHOLE tag, which should allow a low priority poly to display on top of higher priority polys.

For my own projects I tend to cover large areas with land class TILES and smaller areas (eg Towns) with land class POLYS. This lets me get the town shape correct.
 
Back
Top