• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Landclass / large areas / gis data?

Country
germany
I've been pondering on that for quite a time and don't come up with the right answer, maybe someone could give me a hint.

How can you make a custom landclass for a large area, like Southeast Asia, for example? Using SBX for that is very cumbersome.

And, is it possible to feed real GISdata from the Global Land Cover databases or from the Olson land map 2001 into such an undertaking? My intent would be to be able to also change it on a larger scale.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi,

If you have reference data you can use that of course. But you'll have to translate to the values that FS uses. In a GIS tool you should be able to script it for larger areas.

I've even used a bitmap to paint the data and save it as raw data (8-bit) and make landclass of that. As long as the index values are right resample will make the BGL.

Thanks for the replies. Arno, this is exactly the point I am struggling with :)
Dick, I have to look into that, this seems like an answer to one of my questions.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark.

If you have an underlying image that has known extents and is WGS84 projection, you can make an 8-bit indexed layer to paint right over it. Use a palette that makes sense to you. Save as 8-bit RAW with no header.

Sorry, I am confused as to how the compiler knows which color is indexed to a specific landclass number. The SDK does not seem to have any informations on that. Maybe I am thinking to complicated :)

Last edited:
The SDK has the list of numbers and landclass types. The value of the pixel should match that table.

I have an huge list of .INF file, resample do it one by one.. What is the fastest method to compile its?

I have an huge list of .INF file, resample do it one by one.. What is the fastest method to compile its?

You could make a simple batch file to process the files one by one. Or if you use a few instances of resample you can run them in parallel as well. Then you would just make a few batch files and start them at the same time.

Back