• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

library objects

Country
australia
What is the trick with some library objects that dont appear
at the co-ordinates I set.

It has been claimed on many posts that they are "LOCKED TO
A LOCATION".

I think they are offset to some co-ordinate.

By that I mean that the "Leaning tower of Pisa" is offset to Rome
so when I put my co ordinates in for Orlando Florida the
Leaning tower of Pisa is hundreds of Kilometers to the North.

Just a theory

Thanks in advance
Tas

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tas,

No, I am pretty sure that they do not have an offset. It has been verified on the AvSim scenery design forum that you can actually lock your own scenery objects as well. By creating the library in a different way they could be unlocked again and that all worked without changing the position. So I am pretty sure it is no offset.

Country
australia
Mmmmmmm

Thanks

Had a quick look at AVSIM and you are being modest again. ;)
Still not sure why they did it, or what is to be gained
by locking library objects.

Something to do with backwards compatability. ???
Just being nice to the guys at FS :santahat:

Tas

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
NewBGLAnalyze will extract the model so it can be moved. There has been some debate as to whether this is in accordance with Microsoft's wishes. It is curious why they chose to lock certain objects geographically, such as some very generic terminals and hangars.

Country
australia
BGLAnalyze will extract the model so it can be moved. There has been some debate as to whether this is in accordance with Microsoft's wishes
Now is their chance to let us know. ;)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tas,

Tasmanet said:
Still not sure why they did it, or what is to be gained by locking library objects.

That is a good question indeed. I think only MS can answer that one :D. It does not harm to limit the leaning tower of Pisa to Italy only, but I don't really see the logic behind it as well. Maybe it is to increase the performance (as less objects have to be scanned when finding the object that matches a GUID).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
archtx said:
NewBGLAnalyze will extract the model so it can be moved. There has been some debate as to whether this is in accordance with Microsoft's wishes. It is curious why they chose to lock certain objects geographically, such as some very generic terminals and hangars.

Yes, extracting them and then creating a new library (without any object placement in the same XML file) does indeed remove the geo-locking. But personally I think it is not "right" to redistribute objects that came from default libraries like this. So IMHO you could use this at home, but using it in a scenery you want to distribute is not a good idea.

Country
unitedstates
I mostly agree with you Arno. If MS wants the golden gate bridge "locked" to San Francisco, then scenery files should not be distributed with the golden gate crossing the Panama Canal. However, "generic" terminals that are locked to South America, I have no problem relocating to North America. It's a sticky question where to draw the line....and it certainly would be helpful if we knew MS's reasons for locking them in the first place.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I do fully agree on that. I don't see the reason why generic terminal buildings are locked as well. Most likely you will always be able to find terminal that are locked for your area as well, but in this case I do not see the need of it.