• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Light emitting effect

Country
us-utah
Using the effects tool I was able to edit one of the nav light effects to create a light that you could put on a light pole to illuminate the aircraft. Only problem I have noticed is this only works if it is attached to the users aircraft? It didn't emit light anymore once I attached the effect to a scenery object.

lighteffect.jpg

(The red box shows the location of the effect)

This raises another question. How does the sun work in FS? Why couldn't it be placed at any location within FS and be scaled down to emit light on all objects close by?

Last edited:
Country
us-utah
After further testing I deiced to just add the effect to the aircraft light system itself. Right now the effect is turned on or off by the beacon.

ramplight.jpg

It even lights up the cockpit!

More lights could be added to simulate this better as this looks more like a really bright full moon shining through the glass.
ramplightvc.jpg

To best way to add this is a new light would need to be added with a key command. Is this even possible? Could anything be written? Maybe even link this to the parking brake being set or entering a location on the tarmac?

Country
spain
interesting, what I've seen in night time sceneries is how the airplanes aren't iluminated by the airport lights, generally this is so, something really annoying, I see this as a big fault in fsx.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I've developed and discussed a method many months ago that does just exactally that...

...not that it's not without some issues during foggy conditions, but at least it is scenery based, and not permanently attached to a specific aircraft.

Check the "33MO - Leaming Field" threads.

Country
us-utah
FINALLY!! I was so much anticipating a real lighting pole for the FS airports!

The light pole is there for looks. :D I was unable to get the light to emit once it was a scenery object. The lightning effect emits light on your aircraft so I am still looking into that. :rolleyes:

I found a better solution for now was to add this effect to the cabin light. It works as it can be turned on by turning all the lights on or off (L). Anyone know how to create a key command to turn on the cabin lights only?

Country
us-utah
I looked into that but was unsure of the exact wording to use for the cabin light command. I couldn't find anything in the sdk. I also did some more testing by placing the lightning effect as scenery using xml code and bglcomp. It didn't appear that it flashed on the aircraft. Will look into it a little more when I get home.

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Effects will never illuminate anything except the ground when placed as a scenery object...

...which is precisely why I developed an alternate method that does work (mostly).

All commands are listed in the Core Utilities Kit/Variables/Event IDs section of the FSX SDK.

TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS is the command for, well... cabin lights! ;)

Last edited:

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Might be a waste of resources, but would it be possible to create lamp poles with effect based lights as SimObjects and have them light things up (besides the ground)?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I've developed and discussed a method many months ago that does just exactally that...

...not that it's not without some issues during foggy conditions, but at least it is scenery based, and not permanently attached to a specific aircraft.

Shameless self promotion:

While not being as "illuminative", my final material recipe is weather-independent.

:D

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Shameless self promotion:

While not being as "illuminative", my final material recipe is weather-independent.

:D

Although I haven't had the time to test it myself, I'll take your word for it! One of these days I'll maybe find some "free play time" for myself and give it a whirl at 33MO.

Country
us-utah
Might be a waste of resources, but would it be possible to create lamp poles with effect based lights as SimObjects and have them light things up (besides the ground)?

I thought about (kind tried) adding lights to sim objects (cars, boats, animals) To see If they would emit light. Never really got far. Or are you talking about something a little different?

I am starting to believe the lightning in FS holds the clue. The mystery is why does it only work during a thunderstorm? Could it be hard coded and we are SOL? When you place the lightning effects in FS they don't work with your aircraft the same way.

Trust me I want to give up on this as it has taken up a few hours or the last couple days. The lighting issue draws me back.

Effects will never illuminate anything except the ground when placed as a scenery object...

I'm not sure If I have seen an effect light even the ground with my tests the last couple days. Do you know which effects do that? Combing that with your method would probably be the best route.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
as it can be developed I guess it will be a " must" in any scenery, is something which draw the attention of anyone.

Don't count on it. Some tings, especially if they require more effort or rethinking things, don't necessarily catch on.

One of these days I'll maybe find some "free play time" for myself and give it a whirl at 33MO.

Do that and let me know!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I'm not sure If I have seen an effect light even the ground with my tests the last couple days. Do you know which effects do that? Combing that with your method would probably be the best route.

An effect attached to a user flown aircraft will illuminate the a/c to which it is attached.

An effect attached to a scenery object will not illuminate any aircraft, and I've never gotten it to illuminate the ground under any conditions.

Why else would I have taken the time to create an alternate method that does work if using .fx files were a viable method?

Last edited: