Loft Scale Issue (Max)

Hey there, I just recently discovered the ability to import Adobe Illustrator .ai files as shapes into 3dsMax. I find this much easier (I'm faster with AI than 3ds when it comes to drawing splines), but I have a scaling issue, which is creating a loft problem.

When I import the .ai file, the shapes are tiny (even though the AI file is on the magnitude of 8000px wide). This requires me to scale the group of splines up to several thousand % of its original size. Works perfectly, that is until I go to loft. When I pick the shape I want (a taxiway line .4m in diameter) the shape is lofted but the size is massive, as if I had scaled this up to.

Is there anyway to change the scale properties of the splines to reset the scale, or should I just scale the shapes in AI before export? I tried clicking Reset: Scale but the loft is still having issues...in fact, when I clicked that, the group's scale didn't reset to 100%.

Thanks!

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Lofts and scale problems? You brave soul...

If you have drawn a spline you like in AI, don't use it to loft in Max. Instead, create a new spline in Max and use vertex snap to trace the new one exactly over your AI spline. Do this in one of the orthogonal views (top, left, front etc). The new spline won't have any scale issues.

Scale problems when lofting in Max/Gmax will drive you over the edge, avoid them at all costs.

Ya I figured I would want to avoid scale issues. Thanks for the help!

Edit...I seemed to have fixed the problem by scaling the lines as a group, then ungroup, select all shapes and apply a reset Xform modifier. Collapse, then you can loft.

Last edited:

hcornea

Resource contributor
Will resetting the transformation on the original spline work.

(When desparate, resetting Transform, Scale and XForm modifier solves a few odd issues)

I say this, because I presume the same transform is being applied to the lofted object as was initially applied to the spline.

I am, however, just guessing.

Will resetting the transformation on the original spline work.
I say this, because I presume the same transform is being applied to the lofted object as was initially applied to the spline.
That is what I applied the Reset Xform to (sorry, meant spline, not line). The problem is fixed, and everything seems to behave correctly.