Hello,
I’m looking for a way to calculate %MAC for an empty airplane (no payload and FUEL). I've read the Yves Guillaume's PDF "Flight Dynamics in Microsoft Flight Simulator" and tried this method:
I use TopCAT as a reference for %MAC value. For a 737-800, the known variables are:
Wing Root Chord (A) = 18.9 ft
Wing Area = 1 341 ²ft
Wing Span (Y) = 112.6 ft
Wing SWEEP (S) = 25°
Wing Pos Apex Lon (CG) = 12.8413 ft
My calculation:
1: TIP CHORD (B) = Wing Area / Wing Span x 2 = 4.92 ft
2: MAC LENGTH = A-(2*(A-B) * (0.5 * A+B) / ( 3 * (A+B))) = 13.23 ft
3: Distance MAC LE aft of wing apex = ( S * (A+2*B)) / (3 * (A+B )) = 5.03 ft
4: Lateral offset of MAC from Wing Center line = ( 2 * Y * (0,5*A + B)) / (3 * (A+B)) = 45.28 ft
Is it correct?
Here, I’m stuck because I don’t how to integrate the variable Wing Pos Apex Lon CG (2.8413 ft) and to convert to%MAC
Thank you for your help.
Dan
I’m looking for a way to calculate %MAC for an empty airplane (no payload and FUEL). I've read the Yves Guillaume's PDF "Flight Dynamics in Microsoft Flight Simulator" and tried this method:
I use TopCAT as a reference for %MAC value. For a 737-800, the known variables are:
Wing Root Chord (A) = 18.9 ft
Wing Area = 1 341 ²ft
Wing Span (Y) = 112.6 ft
Wing SWEEP (S) = 25°
Wing Pos Apex Lon (CG) = 12.8413 ft
My calculation:
1: TIP CHORD (B) = Wing Area / Wing Span x 2 = 4.92 ft
2: MAC LENGTH = A-(2*(A-B) * (0.5 * A+B) / ( 3 * (A+B))) = 13.23 ft
3: Distance MAC LE aft of wing apex = ( S * (A+2*B)) / (3 * (A+B )) = 5.03 ft
4: Lateral offset of MAC from Wing Center line = ( 2 * Y * (0,5*A + B)) / (3 * (A+B)) = 45.28 ft
Is it correct?
Here, I’m stuck because I don’t how to integrate the variable Wing Pos Apex Lon CG (2.8413 ft) and to convert to%MAC
Thank you for your help.
Dan





