• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX material Q

Messages
2,388
Country
us-washington
Is there an easy way to match materials? I might see s certain color on a bmp or dds. I might want to match the color.

Let's say the color I want to match is the side of a truck. I would like to match that color with a material.

Is there something like this in Adobe or PSP? I am not dicussing the clone brush, etc.

I would like to id that color's rgb values at difuse setting then just type those numbers in when using PSP or FSDS.

Can MDLconverterX do this? Bob
 
Last edited:
I think I answered my own queston! In Paint Shop Pro (Corel) - and Adobe I am sure, bring up a pic, hover your mouse over a particular color in the picture. At the bottom of the screen you see the rgb values and other information.

Wow! I am dangerous when I actually read stuff! Bob
 
Hi,

Maybe a little side step (and I am not sure if that is what you intend). But if you plan to make a new FSX material with just that color, I would not advice to do so. That will give you more drawcalls. In that case it is better to fill a piece of your texture sheet with the color and map that on the object.
 
yes- I was reading your articles on draw cells. ... triangles and all. fascinating. I can truly make a 512x512 sheet or whatever size instead of doing it in materials.

Does using materials in crease the draw cells used or is it a combo of materials and textures that cause a problem in frame rates? Bob
 
If an object uses one texture sheet, then it will have one material, and there will be one drawcall. Just make a texture sheet with rectangular areas red, green, blue or whatever.

If the object uses parts that each have their own material and color, you'll have a drawcall for each part... one per material.

Dick
 
thanx. Still studying, trying to understand all this, but does make sense. I've been studying the discussion on this on one of our threads here- I think in the wiki section.

This might be why one airport a guy did.... frame rates were great until I came around the corner of one building and down the other side. Somewhere out in front of me hit me like a ton of bricks. My fr's went for abom 35 or so down to ..... 3! hahaha Bob
 
Hi Bob,

yes- I was reading your articles on draw cells. ... triangles and all. fascinating. I can truly make a 512x512 sheet or whatever size instead of doing it in materials.

Yes. If you are already using a texture sheet, there is a good chance that you have a corner of 32x32 pixels or so still free. Just use that to paint some colours you want to use on the building as well.
 
Back
Top