• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Materials Creation after SU5 totally broken?

Country
italy
Hello everyone. I was fixing my sceneries past 3 days and I needed to sort my materials since they somehow got bugged, but as of now, the creation of the asset group works nicely, but the creation of a new Material Asset DOES NOT.
It loads random images from the same folder most of times. Selecting a material might (80%) end up in it loading another image instead of the one chosen.
This happens randomly, and it's consistent upon asset group re-creation.

it doesn't seem to be image related, since I had the same result with the old images and new ones, I also did re-export them with Photoshop and rename them. I also tried to just print-screen the image and paste it in a brand new one to avoid meta-data porting, but the result doesn't change. It seems pretty random as shown in the video attached here.

https://www.loom.com/share/26e39ffa6a80465c9ae4a67fcc089af2

Also, as seen in this image, you can notice how:

-File size is 0.00MB
-The file Name is CORRECT and pointing to a "keep clear" writing image, as specified by the image tooltip
-The loaded file is totally wrong.

MSFSMatBug1.jpg

I also checked the .FLAGS file of my materials. Even though they show wrong, they're pointing to the right PNG file! And no, compiling doesn't help (And doesn't output errors)

This is the .FLAG file related to a "non working" texture. Should be a grass texture but it shows as an Up Arrow.

<Material Version="1.4.0" Name="grass-alpha" Guid="{AE2B2D4A-6080-44B6-A8A8-414660EC4B10}" SurfaceType="GRASS" Type="CODE_DIFFUSE" Metal="0.000000" Rough="0.000000" Opacity="1.000000" BlendMode="Transparent">
<TagList/>
<FlagList/>
<TextureList>
<Texture FileName="textures\grass-alpha.png" Binding="MTL_BITMAP_DECAL0"/>
</TextureList>
<Attributes>
<Diffuse Red="1.000000" Green="1.000000" Blue="1.000000"/>
<Emissive Red="0.000000" Green="0.000000" Blue="0.000000"/>
<UVOffset U="0.000000" V="0.000000"/>
<UVScale U="1.000000" V="1.000000"/>
<UVRotate>0.000000</UVRotate>
</Attributes>
</Material>

The texture points to the right .png file

Any help would be appreciated

You probably need to upload a zipped project folder in order to get some help. Otherwise anyone would just be guessing. The zipped project doesn't need to be your whole project. Just some of the aprons and materials that show the problem as an example. If it's too big for FSDeveloper to attach, then use Google Drive or OneDrive to link to the example.

the aprons are already reworked to not include custom materials. I could make a copy of the scenery without custo models and show the issue, to keep it in the order of a few MBs ;) I will as soon as I can :)

Anyways, the package has been built succesfully, and eve tho as you will see, files point all to the right .png, the resulting image (and apron texture) are all corrupted. I saw you had the same issue on the DevSupport forums though. Any luck in resolving it yet?

Hi Losco.

I downloaded and played with the materials, setting them as aprons. I looked at the material editor and the material inspector. And I cannot help you here. The materials all showed as they should and compiled as they should for me. I have a 8gb NVIDIA graphics card and 32 GB memory. I have nothing in my Community folder.

I know Asobo is looking into this, and we'll have some updates (tomorrow?) to the core with the world update. Maybe this will get fixed. I have looked at a few material problems for other users, and I cannot reproduce them on my system, The worst I get in the Material Editor/Inspector is some flickering of the Albedo textures... but never flickering of the default textures.

Hi Losco,
Same problem, in waiting next SDK, try to "Clean all" and -> "Build all", every new material or import all maerial (also if you see "wrong" material and after Clean-Build - very boring but in my case working

Hi Losco.

I downloaded and played with the materials, setting them as aprons. I looked at the material editor and the material inspector. And I cannot help you here. The materials all showed as they should and compiled as they should for me. I have a 8gb NVIDIA graphics card and 32 GB memory. I have nothing in my Community folder.

I know Asobo is looking into this, and we'll have some updates (tomorrow?) to the core with the world update. Maybe this will get fixed. I have looked at a few material problems for other users, and I cannot reproduce them on my system, The worst I get in the Material Editor/Inspector is some flickering of the Albedo textures... but never flickering of the default textures.
Damn i couldn't expect any worst news than "it's working on my side" :(

I don't know where the issue resides. I did a lot of tries (including cleaning and rebuilding my package over time as @Gil62 suggested). What's weird is that it doesn't seem to be package-related as, as you can see, another package has the same issue. It's really annoying and I really can't get the hold of it. It all started with my Sceneries being messed up while I was fixing and this has turned into a real nightmare. Even Sylvain from the DevSupport forums has been looking into it, for now with no success. Dammit, this is really weird as you can see the .material links are all valid and pointing to the right image. I wonder how can it output the wrong material if it does point it right

Oh, I forgot my specs.
I got:
32GB of 3200Mhz RAM
4.0Ghz AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS GeForce 2080S
MSFS is running from a 2TB SSD, as well as the work folder being on another 2TB dedicated SSD

Your specs are more up to date than mine. I have an Intel CPU. It wouldn't seem to hardware related. And you are not the only one with problems concerning Materials. Has your Community folder been empty? and do you have anything other than stock in your official folder? I have the Steam version. I did notice a lag in response when working with the materials at one point, and a big drop in FPS. I exited the sim and restarted it, and no more lag.

Your specs are more up to date than mine. I have an Intel CPU. It wouldn't seem to hardware related. And you are not the only one with problems concerning Materials. Has your Community folder been empty? and do you have anything other than stock in your official folder? I have the Steam version. I did notice a lag in response when working with the materials at one point, and a big drop in FPS. I exited the sim and restarted it, and no more lag.
Got a W10 version and I always work with an empty community folder.

The only thing I did was moving the Work Folders to C: from Y:.
I checked everything and everything works fine (relative paths, of course). I tried making a copy back in the original folder, but I have the same exact bug.
I'm totally stuck and unprepared to this situation

I am one of those whom Dick has been helping. I cannot add any more aprons with materials to my project like what you are doing. It causes a CTD when I try. I logged a call with Zendesk and am waiting until SU6 to see if it has been addressed. There are many issues with aprons since SU5 so I would leave it to see if it’s been fixed

Am I right in assuming this is mostly a DevMode problem? Compiled projects work as expected when in Community Folder?

It does compile flawlessy. this has to be some hidden DevMode dedicated cache, or some DevMode bug which triggers under certain conditions :)

Also here I could import 8 materials over 9, and the last one broke. Always a random result, inconsistent and without an apparent pattern

I've experienced the same issue since SU5. Custom textures are incorrectly loaded in DevMode editor, but compile completely fine. I assumed it affected all SDK users, so I'm hoping for it to be fixed in today's update.

I've experienced the same issue since SU5. Custom textures are incorrectly loaded in DevMode editor, but compile completely fine. I assumed it affected all SDK users, so I'm hoping for it to be fixed in today's update.
And yet on my computer, I've never had this problem. It is coding in DevMode, but I think it has different results depending on the graphics card. I don't believe it is a driver or software incompatibility.

Well I can confirm that after SU6 I still have the same issue:
  • I add an apron
  • Add a material F26G
  • Add the material into the apron
  • Place the apron on the ground
  • Saves scenery OK
  • Compiles cleanly
  • Close project = CTD
  • Start MSFS with newly compiled project in Community folder
  • Can select airport/parking space etc and click FLY
Here it starts to load but then CTD. If I replace the newly compile project with my backup, loads without issue. So clearly, my logged Zendesk hasn't been resolved :oops: in fact, it's status is still OPEN without any feedback from them.

Well I can confirm that after SU6 I still have the same issue:
  • I add an apron
  • Add a material F26G
  • Add the material into the apron
  • Place the apron on the ground
  • Saves scenery OK
  • Compiles cleanly
  • Close project = CTD
  • Start MSFS with newly compiled project in Community folder
  • Can select airport/parking space etc and click FLY
Here it starts to load but then CTD. If I replace the newly compile project with my backup, loads without issue. So clearly, my logged Zendesk hasn't been resolved :oops: in fact, it's status is still OPEN without any feedback from them.
Don't worry, they're gonna tell you to head to the DevSupport foruma, check the SDK Documentation and close the ticket as they did in my case -.-
TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED there isn't an SDK Bug Reporting section on ZenDesk, and the uninterest of who checks tickets.

It looks like I've found a workaround to this bug.
  1. Create Material (preview displays incorrectly)
  2. Assign it to object (apron, painted line, etc)
  3. Save Project
  4. Close Project
  5. Delete the new .FLAGS file in the materials folder.
  6. Open Project
  7. New Material displays correctly.
It seems to be a problem with the "+PRECOMPUTEDINVAVG" tag in the FLAGS file, as removing that tag also fixes the issue.

Back