Maya or blender to .mdl

I have been working on some awesome models for my local airport and I'm quite proud of them, however I can't figure out how to export as .mdl, I am using maya to model, but can send the files to blender for exporting as an mdl if need be. None of the threads I have read have worked for me...
Please help!!!

I believe you can export .dae from Maya, correct? If so, download modelconverterx and import your .dae and tweak and export as necessary to fsx.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If you can export as collada or directx x file, you can probably use modelconverterx to turn them into mdl files.

Okay, I imported both dae and obj to test this, however when I export as mdl it becomes an mtl file and Airport Design Editor doesn't recognize it.

MTL file is OBJ's material and texture information file. You have to save your OBJ/MTL into your texture file folder. Then load OBJ in to MCX, do your bits with material settings and export as BGL.. Im not sure about ADE but ADE should read BGL files. in ADE you need to go Tools>Library Object Manager > then add your BGL. After that right click on viewport and from menu go Add>Library Object. You will see a list of different stuff, if there is no your object click on Find text or Find GUID to find the name of the file that you are looking for. Hope it is correct.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Modelconverterx needs the SDK to be able to save models in the FS format. So you need to have the SDK installed on your development machine.