mdl tweaker II inverts imported mdl files.

When opening a file mdl file with mdl tweaker the object is inverted left to right and I think top to bottom. Textures are likewise on the wrong sides and the object is rotated 90 degrees to vertical.

The same untweaked file opened using modelconverterx or placed in scenery displays correctly.

I was successful in apply a condition to the object but when I save the mdl it is saved inverted. That is it's inverted in fsx or when opened by modelconverterx.

Any thoughts?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

MDL Tweaker sometimes displays an object inverted, that usually happens when there are animations in the object. But when you tweak it, it should still work in FS.

If that is not the case, it is probably a bug. But the tool is not developed anymore. So in that case I think you would have to manual tweak the ASM file for the condition you want.

I was able to get a couple of models through by starting with the model inverted so it turned out right but now I'm having difficulty with that approach. I may have to learn to manually tweak the ASM.

Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Can you send me one of the files that has this problem? I might be able to have a look at it.

hcornea

Resource contributor
ALSO.

Make sure that you reset transform and scale in Gmax.

It could be that there are residual transormations applied to your geometry that are lost in the tweaking process.

Arno,

Here are three files. They were created in FSDS then Converted to FS9-MDLs via modelconverterx. *D&D.mdl and *Day.mdl were run through MDL Tweaker by first inverting the models. They came out ok but the DAY and Dusk\Dawn conditions placed on them seem not to work.

*Night.mdl, has not been processed by MDL Tweaker. When I try, the resultant file will not display in modelconverterx. It does display in FSX and the condition for night display is working. It is inverted so I would need to re-run the whole process with the model inverted from the start. The big problem here is because it will not display in modelconverterx I have no way of turning the model back to level, raising it to the right height and direction.

Clearly there is allot going on here. Perhaps the best path is to take up manual tweaking of the ASMs. I have done manual editing of ASMs for GMAX ground textures but I have no idea how to retain the FSDS ASMs or how to edit them. If you think that's the way to go, perhaps direct me to information in the forum.

Thank you, I grateful for any assistance.

Attachments

I have worked it out. FSDS can create FS9-MDLs. MDL Tweaker processed them without difficulty. For some reason my night textures are displaying extremely dark. Other than that; success!

Thanks

John

A final note:

I did not apply the textures of my night models with a *_lm file name because the file was given a conditional display for night only. I now see that unless a *_lm named file is used the texture is darkened. With my night textures being pretty dark already my models were all but lost in the black.

That's probably pretty basic stuff. Hopefully some else will reads this and finds it useful.

Thanks again.

John

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi John,

Glad to hear you got it working now.

I think the _LM issue is a FSDS limitation, because the MDL format does not require any special naming convention. But maybe FSDS only makes it a night texture when that convention is followed.

The objects are also rotated when there are LOD's. But in FS they still work fine and you still can tweak your mdl as you want.