• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Mip Level Quality Issue

Messages
19
Hi I have here a small problems with mip levels.

I have a very good looking texture. With Imagetool I appied mip levels to it ( to make it more performant ).
The texture still is 1024x1024 but it looks now really awful if I am right in front of it. If I save without mip levels it is brilliant again.
The texture is saved as dxt1.

Any idea ( beside saving without mip levels )?

Regards, Matthias
 
Hi Matthias,

Which gamepack are you using to export the object? If it is the Fs2004 gamepack it could be that the texture scale is set wrong in the MDL, that causes the wrong mip to be displayed.
 
Hi,

For FSX I have not seen this problem so bad. Do you see it only on your object or also on other objects in the same area?
 
Hi arno,

its just mine with the miplevels. Others of mine right beside it without having miplevels look great but have obviously the moree effects.
To make the best of my miplevels I ve done the texture in 1024x1024 so that it is very good when you are near it and still okay when you are away.
The way it looks now is as if the size of it is only one half.
As this effect is only visible on my object and not on other mipleveled objects ( f.e. planes ) I think it is not a problem of my graphic card.

Any idea? The way can't be to get rid of the miplevels as they are very important for performance issues.

Matthias
 
Matthias,

I too have had the quality problems with mip level quality and have done some experimentation. If I allow ImageTool to process the mips, I will always get a quality degradation, and color bleed in a few areas of high contrast. Using Photoshop and the NVIDIA tools, I have been able (using the quality controls provided on the .dds export control) to make slightly better looking mips, but by no means as good as the non-mipped versions.

I have placed a mipped and non mipped texture (same original texture file) on two hanger doors next to each other and the difference in quality is still startling even at the best settings for the mipped texture.

I don't recall having this problem with FS9, but I may just not have noticed

If you want close-up detail, you may well have to sacrifice performance. I do this in areas that I expect folks to be close to on the ground.

JimD
 
Hi,

This last post made me wonder, in Fs2004 we had the mipmap slider in the settings. In FsX that does not seem to be there anymore, but I remember setting it once in the CFG file directly. Maybe that has an influence on scenery object mipmaps as well. By default it seems to be set to a lower value in FsX, than what I preferred to use in Fs2004.

I must say I never saw a really bad quality with mipmaps in FsX on the models I made myself.
 
Back
Top