• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Missing FlightSim Menus in 3ds Max [Fix]

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Using 3ds Max 2019 the first MSFS SDK v0.5.1.0 provided the full complement of menu selections. I did read where people with other versions of 3ds Max did not get the full selection. Upon updating to the MSFS SDK v0.6.0.0 I found that Max no longer displayed all the menu selections in my version of Max.

I have spent quite a few hours trying to remedy the situation and have found a fix. There are two ways to get all the menu items back into Max and this should work with any version of Max that is listed in the MSFS SDK. One method is simple and the other requires a little bit of work.

A. The easy method.

1. If you had all the menu items with the v5 SDK but lost them with the v6 SDK uninstall v6 and reinstall v5.
2. In 3ds Max select Customize\Customize User Interface… and under the Menus tab right side Main Menu Bar expand both the FlightSim and Babylon menus by clicking the little plus signs and verify that you have all the menu selections.
3. Once you have verified all the menu selections click save at the bottom and save the UI with a unique name then close Max.
4. Uninstall SDK v5 and reinstall v6.
5. Open Max and go back into the Customize menu as above and load the custom UI that was saved. You should now have the full menu.

B. The not so easy method.

While some of the menu selections may not be listed in the Menu Bar they are listed in the Action list and it will be necessary to locate them and drag and drop them one at the time into the menus in the right pane. Once you have rebuilt the menus save the custom UI as in Method A.

This is the full menu list to use as a guide when rebuilding.

FlightSim
Materials Tools
Object Renamer
Babylon Utilities
Create AnimationGroup From Selection
UpdateContainerID
--End of Menu--
CountMaterialOnSelection
ConvertModelDefToJson
Plane Validation
FixEndLines
Layers
LODsHierarchy
Nodes
UniqueNames
RebuildNodes
--End of Menu--
Animation Tools
FlightSimLODUtilities
Animation Exporter
--End of Menu--
Babylon
Generate a babylon.js scene file2
--End of Menu--
--End of Menu--

Note: Every time you start 3ds Max it runs the max script FlightSim_SDK_Startup.ms which sets all the paths for the plugins and max scripts in the SDK and you end up with all the missing menus again so you need to reload the custom UI every time you start Max. I have removed the before mentioned max script so it does not reload every time I start Max. I am testing to see if this has any repercussions. If you want to test this the file is in your 3ds Max 20xx\scripts\Startup. Just rename it with a different extension such as .txt so that it will not run and test.

Edit: I've encountered problems from hiding FlightSim_SDK_Startup.ms so for now you will just have to reload the custom UI when you start Max.

Send feedback please.

Last edited:
Hey Paul,
Easy fix. This happened to me. Uninstall the MSFS SDK, then reinstall it. It automatically reinstalls the components into Max.

Bill

Hey Paul,
Easy fix. This happened to me. Uninstall the MSFS SDK, then reinstall it. It automatically reinstalls the components into Max.

Bill
That didn't work for me. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times but it would always be missing the menu items. I'm stuck having to reload my custom UI every time I start Max. The problem is in the scripts and Python code but I don't have the knowledge to backtrack through the code to see when the menus are loaded.

Well, at least you can get it working compared with it being permanently broke.

So... Have you got a working plane into MSFS using Babylon and into gITF format? Is it showing up?

I have found copying the v0.5/0.5.1 version of the file :\MSFS SDK\Tools\3dsMax\FlightSimPackage\scripts\FlightSimManager\ViewportCustomizer.py fixes it ... mostly. There is one tool with an error, the one called plane validation >"nodes". I'm too sleepy into looking into what's causing that problem though right now :p Also i havn't tested if exporting etc works, just that the tools load etc.

Back