FSXA Missing landclass terrain

My landbased textures from 100B2su* TO 120B2su*, THE "CITY" textures, seem to be

totally inaccessible in my system.

They are there because they show up when FSX is operating.

Anyone know why this occurs?

First, thank you for responding...they don't show up in a search (1**B2SU*) even when the search is the entire computer. ...so I have yet to try opening them with anything.......I have DXTBMP. Paint Shop Pro and TVIEW but I have to find them (textures) first.

I have set full access control to every entity in the Scenery/World/Texture folder so that isn't it.....the listing in that folder jumps from 082Y2su5.bmp to 123b2su1.bmp in my system.

I would like to experimentally take some of the red out of the small number of landclass textures in our particular area. Vermont is green, not a sickly imitation khaki.

I do not have FSXA, only FSX De Luxe sp2 and I do not seem to be able to find those bmp's you mentioned at all.
So how do you know you see them in FSX?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
My landbased textures from 100B2su* TO 120B2su*, THE "CITY" textures, seem to be

totally inaccessible in my system.

They are there because they show up when FSX is operating.

Anyone know why this occurs?
Hello,...

I'm a little confused,... if you haven't located the files in question,... how do you know they exist,... what application has told you that they are there, somewhere? How did FSX state to you they were there?

I have FSX+Acceleration,... and I don't have any textures with the filenames given.

Last edited:
Doug says...."I have FSX+Acceleration,... and I don't have any textures with the filenames given".

Me too, Doug....but .....

(wait for it....wait for it......) where do your city streets, ballparks, etc. come from, then...unless of course you only fly VFR touch and goes out of area 51.

From the Terrain SDK

Olson Land Classification Table

101 Large City Urban Grid Wet
102 Large City Urban Grid Dry
103 Large City Urban Non Grid Wet
104 Large City Urban Non Grid Dry
105 Medium City Urban Grid Wet (BURLINGTON VERMONT HAS THIS)
106 Medium City Urban Grid Dry
107 Medium City Urban Non Grid Wet
118 Small City Suburban Grid Dry
119 Small City Suburban Non Grid Wet
120 Small City Suburban Non Grid Dry
121 Large City High-rise

These above are the ones I (and you) cannot find...........

From the Terrain SDK

000X2SU1
Name Element
Description

000 The texture number (000, 001, and so on).
X Region (A through X), see Regions.
2 Reserved, must always be 2.
SU Season, one of: spring (SP), summer (SU), fall (FA), winter (WI), hard winter (HW), night texture (LM), or Autogen annotation (AN). See Seasons.
1 Variation (1, 2, 3, and so on).

From the Terrain SDK

The textures are found in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/scenery/World/texture folder.

I have this sinking feeling that my sparse knowledge base is once again going to be exposed.

Last edited:
Thanks so much....this begs the question...why waste talking about the Olson Land Class values in the SDK with a cross referenced table numbering the values if they don't 1:1 correlate to the bitmap numbering system? Totally misleading. Totally Microsoft.

Again thanks.

this begs the question...why waste talking about the Olson Land Class values in the SDK with a cross referenced table numbering the values if they don't 1:1 correlate to the bitmap numbering system?
Well I guess if you were making a landclass those values would be the color values (105 would be RGB 105,105,105 for example) you'd paint on the source geotif for resample.exe to interpret as Medium City Urban Grid Wet. I suppose there's universal land use data available from GIS sites that uses the Olsen Land Classification Table so conceivably you could download the GIS data and resample it to landclass without (much) modification. That would be the reason they're listed I think, I still can't tell you why LC value 105 is displayed using 033*.bmp as opposed to 105*.bmp though. I'm sure there's a completely logical reason. :)

Well, just modifying the old Cool Broadleaf Forest textures (028b*) in World/Textures didn't work for me, and that's by far the biggest woods landclass in the Adirondacks and New England. I took 20 units of red and blue out of the original 028b's s and got much closer to my photoreal woods. That's where I wanted to start, anyway. I really only wanted to adjust the greens everywhere.

I had this idea that the World/Textures textures were the Landclass. Another one of my many dead end fantasies. I can't believe the contract texture artist thought that's what the north woods looks like. Thing is the GEX textures are just as far off in terms of hue. And swapping my "good" modified textures into GEX didn't work either.

I'll go back and look at the Terrain SDK again. I think I get that the grayscale value can point to a number in the Olsen table..........
To me the Olsen table must have the colors locked in. I suspect that the SDK only shows how to combine the already existing LC's into a new one.

Postscript: I can see where someone with e.g.a georeferenced but poor quality photo could use it as a template with a grayscale image drawn above it on a second layer, drawing in various grayscale values to correspond with the Olson classes at that point. This is far easier than drawing in polygon after polygon in FSX_KML. The resample is instant, and you have a very complex scene readymade. Not bad.
But the color palette is completely unsatisfactory out beyond the reaches of my photoreal bgls..

I'm stuck with Vermont as the Khaki State instead of the Green Mountain state.

Last edited: