• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Model animation (simple)

Messages
350
Country
us-michigan
I'm not sure where to post this. I designed a truck that I would like to drive down a stretch of road. The design I pretty much done. Since I don't have Gmax and I have Blender I take it that Blender would be the program to use to create this animation. Just a simple one. I don't need the tires to go around or anything like that. But I have no idea where to start. I've been looking at some tutorials on YouTube, but nothing like what I'm looking for. Is there a good tutorial out there? Preferably a video tutorial. I just want the truck to go down a dirt road and maybe go around a couple of turns, then repeat. Also I need to know how to upload it on to FSX and what format to use. So, basically treat me like a noobie.
 
ty this one:

The path obviously should align with the road.
If you need reference for that you might want to align a piece of imagery which is best done as described here:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ground_Polygon_modeling_in_Blender#Background_Image

Note that the "follow path" animation can't be exported to mdl, so you have to do the "bake action" step once the movementappears satisfactory.
you can find that command down below under Object -> Animation -> Bake Action. Waht it basically does is converting the path animation to a keyframe one that can be exported.
Make sure you check "clear constraints", otherwise the keyframe animation will interfere with the path one instead of replacing it.

Hope that helps for a start, feel free to ask for further details :)
 
Hi Dave,
Yes, I saw that video. Unfortunately I have to back up a bit because I can't seem to figure out how to texture my truck on Blender. I've exported as DAE and 3DS and when I import any of them only certain textures show up, but not in Render at all. I've unwrapped the textures, but what a mess. I wouldn't know where to begin texturing those on Gimp. I'm sending a Zip of my project.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RhB3_DhDlknnNW7TPJJyqDkbC-cWP8VZ
 
Ok, I think I managed to be able to see my textures now. I make a path. select my truck. select my path. CTRL P follow path. My truck changes size to very large size for some odd reason. ALT A and it does follow the path but the truck is huge.
 
Is there any objet with a scale other than one in the scene? Maybe try applying scale (Ctrl+A)

BTW how many objects does the vehicle consist of?
 
Last edited:
This is about a half of an exploded view. As you see in my video I Join all the the parts before i do a Path.
Capture.PNG
 
Maybe the path forces the car to be scaled 100% instead of 0.19.
Try applying scale before the car is constrained to the path.
 
Back
Top