FSX modeldef.xml

Hi Folks.

I am using the latest release, SAMM2209 with Win10 64 bit and am getting an error message saying that... The "modeldef.xml" file does not appear to be a valid. You will not be able to convert FSX aircraft models until a vald"modeldef.xml" is located.... I cannot see an option to define the location of the modeldef.xml file. I can select it in the SDK but I am getting this error each time I try to make an FSX model.
However, it does make a model but it has no wheels down. The static model sits on its belly. Any thoughts on that also? I have recently upgraded my pc and am coming back to scenery design. This is the first of me using the latest version.

May I ask for some help with this please?
Regards...Kenny.

gadgets

Resource contributor
SAMM is designed to work with compiled-for-FS9 aircraft. It will convert FSX aircraft but only if they use default animations. Clearly the landing gear on you FSX model uses some non-standard animation technique. (that doesn't mean it's wrong; FSX allows much more latitude in aircraft development than did FS9. But SAMM won't know how to handle it.) So find a FS9 model and all should be well. (There are at least 10 of them for every true FS aircraft. It's far too much work to "teach" SAMM to convert FSX/P3D aircraft and the rewards are minimal. Almost certainly, there's a FS9 equivalent for any FSX aircraft you find.

As for the error message, that message should give you an opportunity to locate the file at the time. If you do, then its path is saved. Otherwise, you will get the error message every time you attempt to convert a FSX aircraft - whether it's actually needed or not.

However, if you are really stuck with that FSX aircraft, MCX may do a better job of converting it.

Don,

I was unable to compile an FSX AI aircraft using MCX a couple of days ago. The error was XtoMDL. I tried it using SAMM2 and it created the AI model without any problems. :confused:

gadgets

Resource contributor
I tried it using SAMM2 and it created the AI model without any problems. :confused:
Now I'm confused. You reported an error in the opening post to this thread.

If you mean you compiled a different aircraft a few days ago, then that's an entirely different situation. Whether or not SAMM successfully converts a FSX aircraft depends on the design of the aircraft.

Now I'm confused. You reported an error in the opening post to this thread.

If you mean you compiled a different aircraft a few days ago, then that's an entirely different situation. Whether or not SAMM successfully converts a FSX aircraft depends on the design of the aircraft.
I'm also confused since I didn't start this thread. :confused:

I was just commenting on the fact that I was getting a compile error with MCX, but when I tried to create the same aircraft using SAMM2 there was not a problem. :)

I found this strange since it was my understanding that MCX and SAMM2 used similar tools.

Grace and Peace,

Bill

gadgets

Resource contributor
My apologies, Bill. I should have checked that you were the author of the original post before replying.

I found this strange since it was my understanding that MCX and SAMM2 used similar tools.
Arno has graciously allowed me to used his .dlls (i.e., basic subroutines in MCX) in my tools so as not to reinvent the wheel. However, the underlying concepts and structure in SAMM and MCX are quite different and MCX's use is much broader than SAMM's, the latter being focused on aircraft to scenery conversion.

Hello Don.

It was not I who posted regarding using MCX. That was a simmer called Bluestar. Thanks for the info re. the FS2004 aircraft. I have indeed found both a 100 and a 300 Phenom. I'll have another try at converting them to statics. I'll post back with any results.

Regards...Kenny.

Hello again Don and Bill also.

Success, I now have a static Phenom 100 sitting on a ramp. This is as you said, an FS9 flyable aircraft from a well known site.

Stay safe...Kenny.