• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MS Office issue after installing 64bit driver...

Country
unitedstates
When I installed the driver AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe so I can use scenProc MS Office Pro Plus starts a MS Configuration Process that can take up to a minute or two before a document or Office program opens. I mean this happens every single time I try to open any type Office documents (Word, Excell, etc.). (see screenshot).

If I remove the driver (via Restore Point), the issue goes away. Doing research on this issue does not look promising. Apparently it takes going into the registry and performing line item editing which I really don't want to do.

Any suggestions or anyone else experiencing this? As for now I cannot use scenProc :( and not sure what to do?

Clutch

Attachments

• Access issue.jpg
    Access issue.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 966
Country
us-california
there's a string you must use with x64
Arno mentions this in the Wiki
ill see if i can pull this up

Country
unitedstates
Thx for jumping in. I re-read the Wiki to see if I missed something but I did install it with the "/passive" option. And double-checked if I was installing Access 2010 driver.

I will scour Google for any options. Dang, wanted to play with this a little on our 4th of July Holiday. :cool:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have only heard about this issue once before.

Do you have a 32 or 64 bit version of Office?

I am planning to use a different shapefile driver in the future, so that this dependency for scenProc is gone. So that should solve it for the future.

Country
unitedstates
Ok, I think I am getting close. After much research on the issue I found this:

"Here's a workaround for installing the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable on a system with a 32-bit MS Office version installed:

• Check the 64-bit registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\FilesPaths" before installing the 64-bit
version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable.

• If it does not contain the "mso.dll" registry value, then you will need to rename or delete the value after installing the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable on a system with a 32-bit version of MS Office installed.

• Use the "/passive" command line parameter to install the redistributable, e.g. "C:\directory path\AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe" /passive

• Delete or rename the "mso.dll" registry value, which contains the path to the 64-bit version of MSO.DLL (and should not be used by 32-bit MS Office versions).

Now you can start a 32-bit MS Office application without the "re-configuring" issue. Note that the "mso.dll" registry value will already be present if a 64-bit version of MS Office is installed. In this case the value should not be deleted or renamed."

So before I tried this I made a restore point before installing the Access 64bit driver. I installed the driver, got the issue again, then went into my regedit and deleted the MSO.DLL. Now Word and Excel open normally! So this appears to have worked.

But when I open scenProc it says it can't find the AutogenDescriptions.xml and the RoofDescriptions.xml in the 'C:\Users\Clutch\AppData\Local\Temp\scenProc\Extrusions.xml'.

So I manually added them there. However, it is now asking for 'Extrusions.xml', but I cannot find an .xml file of that anywhere.

So Arno, should I just try re-installing the latest tools version of all your tools and just overwrite? I take it your program creates those .xmls automatically?

Getting close I think :confused:

Oh, to answer your question I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Office 2010 Pro Plus 32bit.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Those XML files in the temp folder should not be copied manually. They are normally copied (or decompiled) there from your FSX installation folder. So did you set the path to FSX right in the options?

Country
unitedstates
Ok, I think we are good. I d/l again your latest release. Copied over all the files and now scenProc is opening (had to reenter paths again), and it looks like all the proper xml files were created. AND my MS Office is working as normal!

:D

Now it is a HAPPY 4th!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Glad to hear it is working now!

Country
unitedstates
Well thought it was working but no. Every time I try to process I get an Error Handler window:

"An unexpected error occured during running your configuration

Error:
External component has thrown an exception."

Even used your examples which worked in the past.

Then when I try to close the program I get another error stating the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another program. I sent you a report. Maybe that will help. Have to go into CNTL+ALT+DEL to close scenProc after any error is thrown in processing.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Nah... I think I am just screwing things up. :p Will re-read the tutorials again and give er another go today.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll check the error report, not sure what is going on there.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The error message indeed indicates something is wrong with that database driver. I am afraid I can't advice more than a reinstall :(

Country
unitedstates
Yea, I re-read tutorials. Made sure I was doing it correctly. As far as I can now see I am following steps so must be that "snarky" driver as you say. At least we know the culprit. I will try to reinstall. I take it is best to try an un-install driver or just overwrite?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I am not sure, since I never had this problem.

The only problem I encountered is that the 64 bit driver didn't want to install, because I have a 32 bit Office on my machine. I posted the workaround that worked for me in the manual. But the trouble you reported I haven't seen before.

I think I should try to get rid of this additional driver soon, it is becoming annoying :)

Country
unitedstates
Yea, I'm all in favor of replacing the driver,ha!

Appears I can either have it working with scenProc or MS Office but not both. Guess who's gonna win out I'm afraid.