• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Weather Theme File Format

Messages
6
Country
germany
Dear FS Developers,

I'm fully aware this question was asked several times and I have only very few hope it will be answered. But did anyone in the last years find any information about the MSFS weather theme file format? In the worst case I will have to reverse engineer it but this is a pain.

I would need it for an open source software supporting several simulators and has very basic weather support. The SimConnect weather API isn't very advanced so I would like to use theme files.

Anyone out there who could help out or is willing to share his knowledge?
 
Well - ORBX and others include Weather Themes with their products so it must be possible. Interestingly enough there is not a Weather category in the Wiki. Nor a subcategory under Effects. A growth area opportunity.

In a future project I will also be exploring weather theme construction - I'll let you know what I find out.
 
Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I made some progress with the file format and are working on a C library to read and write them.

This leaves me with the question how to load a new created theme from an external application. SimConnect allows to set a new theme with SimConnect_WeatherSetModeTheme. But is there a similar API method for FS9 in FSUIPC? Or any trick to reload the theme?
 
Have you had any further luck with the .WTB format? I'm needing to decompile the FSX ones as well to learn what they have inside.
 
OK 5 months later but I found the answer. The FS2004 Weather SDK (download at Avsim) works with FSX. Intuitive it is not. That said, a recent edition of PC Pilot magazine had an article about how to make weather themes.
 
The FS2004 WMaker.exe is very poorly documented, as in almost nothing to guide you. I have been using it
for some time to create weather themes for use by the 91st Bombardment Group on our missions. External
weather engines are 'out' as not all of our pilots can afford a payware weather engine and even if we all could have
the same engine, frequent upgrades to add new bells and whistles creates a logistics problem and often further
expense to stay up to date. Thus the use of the FS2004 WMaker program.

The biggest issue I have with it, beyond documentation, is limited range over which you can define weather.
It is +/- 32 16km cells. Your spwn point is always the center of the 64 x 64 grid. Since we fly our missions
from Bassingbourn, England to 'Occupied Europe', less than half of the definable area is usable.

Also, on the missions deep into Germany or Southern France we are beyond the definable area and the weather
resorts to that which is defined in a single cell for each type/layer that is defined. I use the upper-left cell.

This deficiency means that, using this program, I can not define specific weather at a 'primary target' and different
weather at a 'secondary target'. many of the 91st missions in WWII, which we try to replicate, found 10/10
overcast at the primary and they then went on to a secondary or target of opportunity that was not totally
obscured.

I have recently been experimenting with creating a weather theme and loading it, then using the free flight
'custom weather' utility to define weather at various weather stations along the flight plan route and have
successfully created a 10/10 overcast situation at a target and different weather at a secondary, as long as
there were separate weather stations in the area of the two targets.

It is a rather tedious exercise but id the only method I have found to 'extend' the defined weather for our missions.

Each pilot has to save a flight in free-flight with his aircraft at UKBA. Then replace the saved WX file with the
one I create via my 'hybrid' approach. I've not had the chance to test this approach on a mission yet but wil
be doing so in January or February. Meanwhile, we continue to use the weather theme I create with WMaker,
which I distribute with the mission files. Again, a pilot must spawn in free-flight at UKBA, load the specified
weather theme and then save the flight.

Upon entering the multiplayer 'lobby' the pilot then loads the saved flight which causes the server-provided weather
to be overridden.

In multiplayer, when trying to fly in formation with other aircraft over the course of 4 - 6 hours mission, it is
imperative that everyone has the same weather, with the wind direction and velocity being the most critical
element. Even with our current use of a pre-defined weather theme, occasionally a pilot will have completely
different weather than the majority of the group at some point in the mission. I've not been able to determine
what might be causing these issues as none of us use external weather engines during missions and always
verify our winds, barometer and temperature once in the server at UKBA prior to takeoff.

In the quest for a solution to our needs I did a brief test of the payware Weather Architect found that program
lacking in many facets. I am hoping that in the future that program will be updated to address the deficiencies.

Paul
 
Have you seen the program by Gunnar Daehing - says it creates a 1024 sqkm theme.

site here

I am using wmaker to create small weather theme files and trying to decode the file. So far so good. There are a few parts that store heights (values) of layers in a format I have yet to figure out.
 
Back
Top