• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA multiple objects in one model

Messages
2,388
Country
us-washington
I and many of us have seen people who put many objects into one model when compiling. i.e. We see - let us say- 5 hangars, two houses, a couple of cars, a few trees, etc all in one model. Bring up ModelconverterX and we see this.

OK- I have done this also from time to time.

As I understand, the thinking is that FSX is less busy loading one bgl containing many models than having to load many objects separately, making for better frame rates.

This sounds logical. On the other hand, I have heard this is not necessarily the case. The big problem concerning frame rates is draw calls and trying to put many textures onto one texture sheet whenever possible.

This I agree with, but are both a good idea or is the multiple objects in one bgl, while sounding like a good idea, really not that helpfull concerning frame rates?

In other words... has anyone actually done any testing to see if multiple objects in one bgl is not helpfull, completely helpfull, or somewhat helpfull? - and to what degree? Bob
 
Hi Bob:

No doubt there are additional answers to your primary question regarding performance which should properly be a part of a comprehensive topic-specific answer to your questions.


However, as it is rather late in my time zone, I thought before retiring for the evening, I'd at least initially mention this 'related' and interesting consideration mentioned by Jim Robinson involving IIUC, making 1 model with multiple objects for merging AO shadows into a custom Ground Poly texture ...which might prove helpful when creating one's airport scenery:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426143&page=2

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=646515&postcount=28


Perhaps Jim Robinson and others might post additional info here regarding the potential FS run-time performance considerations of making an airport with multiple buildings inside one or several larger 3D object models ? ;)


Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
I've thought I've made some not-so-bad stuff, but these shots are wonderful!
I will try to persue something on this order, but my above questions remain. Bob
 
Back
Top