• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Multiple Rotation Needle for Tachometer

Messages
62
Country
unitedstates
Hello Fellow Programmers,

I am currently trying to program a CFS / FS2000 Tachometer (FS2000 SDK and C++) that has two Needles.
One indicates Thousands (This one works without a problem).
The other indicates Hundreds and under (This one doesn't work).

See attached image for a clearer description of what I am trying for.

RussianTach.jpg


I have tried a few ideas and none have seemed to work thus far.

The first idea was to subtract 1000.0 in the callback whenever the RPM exceeded 1000.
The needle would swing from 999 slowly BACK AROUND to 1.

The second idea was to simply add more entries to the non linearity table for past 1000 RPM and up to about 3500 RPM.
With this idea, the Needle moves fine up to about 1200 RPM and then moves BACKWARDS and forwards in a strange pattern and is not correct even when the RPM is stable.

The Thousands Needle Callback does a divide by 1000.0.
The Hundreds Needle Callback does a divide by 100.0.
Both needles currently use the same non linearity table.

Any suggestions on how to make this work as it should?

Thanks in advance.
- Ivan.
 
Tried the second non-linearity table.
The pattern of movement of the Hundreds Needle isn't the same but it still doesn't seem to work.
It now seems to stay moving for much longer when the RPM is changed.

Next thing I will try is to see if I can make just the Hundreds Needle display properly.

- Ivan.
 
Commenting out the Thousands Needle got the value for Hundreds to display correctly but the needle still would move in odd directions to get to where it was supposed to be until the last field (delay) of the Needle macro was changed to zero. At that point everything seemed to work and seems to still be working after I put the Thousands Needle back in.

I also changed the pixel location for 1000 RPM to differ slightly from 0 RPM but I don't know if that had any effect.

Let's see if everything remains working when I duplicate the code for Engines 2, 3, and 4.

Thanks DragonflightDesign!

- Ivan.
 
If you ever have negative figures in a linearity table, they must go in before the positive ones. Again, no idea why but hard-earned knowledge.
 
Thank you, DragonflightDesign,

Your Tutorial is probably the single best reference I have found thus far for working on CFS/FS2000 Gauges.
There are a bunch of things I don't yet understand but I don't believe it is right to ask questions without at least trying things out first to see specifically where my lack of understanding lies.

Thanks.
- Ivan.
 
Back
Top