• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX My First Project

Messages
54
Country
us-michigan
Well, this is my first foray into 3D modeling, and I have to say I rather enjoy it. So much in fact, I am considering taking a class at my college to learn more.

This is just a small project I'm working on, has about 2 weeks of work (3/4 of that was learning gmax). Just a fun little plane, it's going to be released for FSX only. I plan on going through and doing full 3D gauges and completely modeling the motor. I might be making a second version as a dedicated a aerobatic aircraft, but I need to see how this one goes first.
 

Attachments

  • Griffin.jpg
    Griffin.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 738
nice one

that looks really good,it looks like a powered glider...something that would be
great fun to fly in fsx....jim
 
That was the original idea, but I have since reduced the wingspan from 75 to 50 feet and reduced the aspect ratio from around 17:1 to about 10:1. I'm now going for something like a high speed touring aircraft or a sport racer. Just having a little trouble picking the engine I want to put in it.
 
Last edited:
Starting to look more like an airplane now...
 

Attachments

  • I dont know what to name you.jpg
    I dont know what to name you.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 662
Put a little too much detail into the engine, and I'm still not done with it. At least it will be pretty to look at though.:p Also, anyone care to help me with a name as I am totally stumped.
 

Attachments

  • Dat gas.jpg
    Dat gas.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 562
Yes, try to do as much detail with textures as you can, rather than with polygons....

as for a name... how about a 'FB99 - Airbender', not the best, but perhaps contemporary :D

If your stumped, then perhaps a 'FB1 - Stumper'

At best, tongue in cheek suggestions :D
 
Yes, try to do as much detail with textures as you can, rather than with polygons....

That's what I'm trying to do, but it's hard to get nice looking piping for exhaust and such without sending the poly count through the roof. What I'm probably going to end up doing is putting a code in to hide most of the motor when the cowl is closed, but when either side is off everything pops back.
 
yea, i suppose to to the exhaust system and cylinder heads justice, the engine could have a higher poly count than the rest of the plane... make sure you want to show the engine in the first place, without cheating with the cowl openings. otherwise, yes, ya gotta model the engine, to match the detail spread of the plane for congruency.

neat project, though.... :)
 
Back
Top