• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

My first SU/FSX/P3D project

Country
unitedstates
Hello everyone. I figured it's time I stopped lurking and become an active member if I really want to learn.

About a year ago I started getting interests in GSU. Wanting to learn how to model a hanger gave me the drive to start learning. All considering, making the model is easy. That is, compared to the process's involved in texturing, exporting, importing to MCX, exporting to MDL, placing in flight sim, etc, etc. There's a lot to learn in the process of doing it correctly. I envy those who are proficient and accomplished in the tasks involved.

I'm hoping I can receive help from fellow SU modelers alike, and Arno. He is a wealth of knowledge in the design of MCX. Amongst other programs here at FSD.

Expect plenty of questions from me in my journey. I hope you don't mind.

My own design.

Attachments

• OB-2012-dec-1-001.jpg
    OB-2012-dec-1-001.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 502
  • OB-2012-dec-1-002.jpg
    OB-2012-dec-1-002.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 483
  • OB_Hanger_6212011.jpg
    OB_Hanger_6212011.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 460
Country
unitedstates
So far it looks pretty good. Its not a hard process, and there are many people here that are willing to help get you going.

Model looks very good. How long did it take you?

Country
us-oregon
Have you figured out, or streamlined the process? I can help if you need it. I've got it down to about a 3 or 4 minute deal.

Country
spain
Regarding to modelling it seem you have not problems :D, what you have to learn is to enhance the model with the MCX material editor, there you can apply night textures, especualar, reflections, etc. the process of export/import is just routine. and a little of hard work, indeed.

Country
unitedstates
So far it looks pretty good. Its not a hard process, and there are many people here that are willing to help get you going.

Model looks very good. How long did it take you?

The modeling is the easiest (in SU) for me. The textures I can also design. I start scratching my head once I get it in MCX as to the steps I need to apply to different areas within the model.
"How long did the model take me?" I honestly don't know as I never payed attention. I think about a week.

Have you figured out, or streamlined the process? I can help if you need it. I've got it down to about a 3 or 4 minute deal.

I'm not sure what you mean, "streamlined" I'll take a guess. The process of export .DAE, import to MCX, material edit/convert, export as .MDL? I'm working on that. LOL!

What you have to learn is to enhance the model with the MCX material editor, there you can apply night textures, especualar, reflections, etc. the process of export/import is just routine. and a little of hard work, indeed.

Agreed. There is a LOT to input for the process. And not a lot of tutorials that I have found.

**I'm not a patient person to be trying to do this. The problem with me modeling is I get so frustrated at times which is derived from all the procedures. So please bare with me in that aspect if I come across coarse or disrespectful. It's not directed at anyone.

Thank you for all the replies.

Country
us-oregon
Yes, that's what I mean.

It's very simple. How do you plan on placing the model in fsx? Do you use Instant Scenery, or some other program?

Here's how I do it.

1. Create the model in AutoCAD, or Sketchup.
2. Export it to .DAE file.
3. Open your .DAE file in MCX (your model will generate in MCX)
4. Click toolbar button minimize drawcalls
5. Click mass texture editor toolbar button. Rename the textures to what you want them to be.
(I use all .DDS textures)
6. Then after you have minimized your drawcalls, and named all your textures.
export to a .MDL file.
Then I open the .MDL file with Library Maker (which comes with Instant Scenery II)

I insert the model file I have created into Library maker, and then save it. You will then have a .BGL

Make sure all your files are in the same folder from the start of the project to the finish. File organization is very important.

If you want me to do this for you, I can. Send me a file with everything in an email, and I will make a video of me doing the process. I will then send you all the completed files, ready to insert into your FSX.

It's like taking a walk in the park once you learn. Watching me do it in a video might be really helpful too.

Let me know if I can help.

Dan

Country
unitedstates
Yes, that's what I mean.

It's very simple. How do you plan on placing the model in fsx? Do you use Instant Scenery, or some other program?

Here's how I do it.

1. Create the model in AutoCAD, or Sketchup.
2. Export it to .DAE file.
3. Open your .DAE file in MCX (your model will generate in MCX)
4. Click toolbar button minimize drawcalls
5. Click mass texture editor toolbar button. Rename the textures to what you want them to be.
(I use all .DDS textures)
6. Then after you have minimized your drawcalls, and named all your textures.
export to a .MDL file.
Then I open the .MDL file with Library Maker (which comes with Instant Scenery II)

I insert the model file I have created into Library maker, and then save it. You will then have a .BGL

Make sure all your files are in the same folder from the start of the project to the finish. File organization is very important.

If you want me to do this for you, I can. Send me a file with everything in an email, and I will make a video of me doing the process. I will then send you all the completed files, ready to insert into your FSX.

It's like taking a walk in the park once you learn. Watching me do it in a video might be really helpful too.

Let me know if I can help.

Dan

I have a couple programs for making/placing scenery objects. The problem, they are not compatible (to my knowledge) with Prepar3D as of yet. FSX (for me) has too many issues and tweaks that are needed to make it enjoyable.

The info you've jotted down here for me is a plus. Thanks for that.
**As for my sending the model anywhere, I can't do that as it has other models (not mine) incorporated in it. This is a model I had no intentions of every releasing.

Aside of that I appreciate all the help I can get from anyone knowledgeable who's willing.

Thanks