P3D v4 Need a little clarification on the Add-on.xml method

I am working on my first attempt at creating an Add-on.xml for my add-on scenery. Through research here and the P3D SDK I was able to create one that works but I guess the only way to know for sure would be to completely uninstall P3Dv4 (or v3), reinstall and see if my scenery remains activated?

Where I am a little fuzzy on is about files that I have placed in the P3D Scenery\Global\scenery folder and the Scenery\Global\texture folder. This I do if I am using the older, Scenery Library activation method. Using the Add-on method should my files no longer be installed there but remain with my install folder and they are referenced as to where they are in the Add-on.xml? Will all my files get "discovered"?

Thx

You should not place any files in the core sim folders... I do not know if there are any issues, hopefully someone who makes scenery can chime in.

As noted in the SDK, you can add global or world textures using a category 'texture' and a type, Global or World, with Global the default. I use this to add custom autogen building textures.
I've also added the equivalent of Scenery\World\Scenery elevation stubs using category 'Scenery' with a layer of 4, to make sure it loads early in the process. Works a treat.
I was pleased to find that with a complete uninstall and reinstall of 4.4 all my add-on.xml scenery just worked, after the initial activation.

As noted in the SDK, you can add global or world textures using a category 'texture' and a type, Global or World, with Global the default. I use this to add custom autogen building textures.
I've also added the equivalent of Scenery\World\Scenery elevation stubs using category 'Scenery' with a layer of 4, to make sure it loads early in the process. Works a treat.
I was pleased to find that with a complete uninstall and reinstall of 4.4 all my add-on.xml scenery just worked, after the initial activation.
I can't override the orbx airport elevations in the Scenery\World\Scenery folder with layer 4. Have you found you can? Or do you turn off the orbx alt stubs?

Last edited: