FSX Need Help

I am designing a fictitious airport named Minhad Air Base (ICAO: OMDM) located near Dubai International Airport (ICAO: OMDB). I want to include the following in my custom airport:
1) An aircraft Hangar with opening and Closing doors based on NAV Radio frequency
2) Taxi lights that will turn on and off based on NAV Radio frequency, to prevent Runway Incursions at the airport.
3) Airport Announcements that will play a sound at a pre defined time.

Also I need to know the following:
1) What is tweaked FS9 Model?
2)What is BGL lights, MDL Tweaker?
3)Can I use (CAT) Conditional Animation Tool in FSX.
4)What is Effects Controller & Conditional Effect Placement

Any help appreciated

Thanks
DreamAero

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

You can use models that have been processed with CAT in fsx as well, but it must be a fs2004 mdl file. So if the model has transparent textures you will have issues with it in fsx.

Tweaked objects just means that they have been modified, either in the asm code or with a tool, to get features that are not possible with the gamepack only. Mdl tweaker is a tool I made that can do common modifications to fs2004 mdl files.

If your hangar doors should be animated, then you can use cat for them. If you just want the object to show or not show, it is easier to use mdl tweaker.

The sound is more in the special effects category, they are placed like any other effect, there are little documentation about "effects".

Last edited:
Thanks Arno

Hi,

You can use models that have been processed with CAT in fsx as well, but it must be a fs2004 mdl file. So if the model has transparent textures you will have issues with it in fsx.

Tweaked objects just means that they have been modified, either in the asm code or with a tool, to get features that are not possible with the gamepack only. Mdl tweaker is a tool I made that can do common modifications to fs2004 mdl files.

If your hangar doors should be animated, then you can use cat for them. If you just want the object to show or not show, it is easier to use mdl tweaker.
Hi Arno, I have FSX Gmax gamepack, So, I will have to get FS2004 Gmax gamepack & create model in it. Will I get this on FSDeveloper.
Also, What are transperent textures & how to fix it.

Thanks
Dreamaero

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

You can download the fs2004 gamepack from the download section here on fsdeveloper indeed.

Transparent textures are textures that you can (partly) see through. There is no way to fix the problems fs2004 models with transparent textures have in fsx. The only fix is to use the fsx gamepack (but then you have no tweaking).

Another problem has arised!!!!

Hi Arno,
I downloaded FS2004 Gmax Gamepack from fsdeveloper, thanks alot. Now I got the FS2004 GMax gamepack, I also downloaded the fs9 sdk from microsoft support since I will require the FS9 BGLComp.exe for compiling fs9 models from fs9 gmax gamepack. But, I dont have FS9, I have FSX Acceleration how will I install the FS9 SDK, will FSX-A SDK & FS9 SDK work together. Where do I install FS9 SDK.
Regardin my Taxi Light issue that I discussed earlier, I have found a tutorial for the same on your site (Fsdeveloper) the name of the tutorial is Taxi edge Light Tutorial.pdf, in the airport design section of the wiki.

I am pasting a small extract from that tutorial as I need help on this, I did not understand as I little knowledge about texture creation, could you please provide me a tutorial on Texture creation (like Day texture, Night Texture & Alpha channels)

THE EXTRACT TAKEN FROM TAXI EDGE LIGHT TUTORIAL.pdf:
"2. Make your texture by using your taxi light with black background. Make another copy for the night texture. Make another layer and copy just the bulb light and use dodge tool to make it brighter. You make darken some part using another layer.
3. In Gmax you make a plane and map the texture in to suit the specification of height
and width you have. Or you can make a little bit larger to make them easier to be
noticed in the Flight Simulator."

Its telling to create a layer, how to create layer in Gmax, I know we can create layers in GIMP

Regards
Dreamaero

Last edited: