P3D v4 New Texture Map - Gloss

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello Arno,

It appears that LM when updating to v4.5 has added a new texture map called "Gloss". Along with this addition, normal maps can now be in a DXT1 file format (with mipmaps). I'm not sure if the Gloss map is part of the new normal map structure, wondering if you could determine that? The current MCX doesn't place this new Gloss map anywhere in the model: 60ft Pusher Drone - Location: \...\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\60ft Pusher Drone\texture.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

It would help to have a x file made with the latest xtomdl, then I can check how the gloss texture is stored.

The 4.5 SDK doesn't say anything about any 'gloss' material. Although the Pusher Drone's texture folder has a texture called "60ft_pusher_drone_Gloss.dds" (it is the only aircraft in the Airplanes folder that has a _gloss suffix) it is not referenced in the .x-file. Perhaps it is just a remnant of a Quixel or Substance process.

Edit, that drone has even got a _Specular texture, which needless to say, is also not referenced anywhere. I don't think this particular "airplane" is the pattern of things to come.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Thanks, mjahn!

I have comfirmed what you have discovered as well. It appears that the gloss map isn't referenced at this time.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Looking at other resources, I have found out that the "Gloss" map maybe leftovers by LM. The term "Gloss" map is also the same as the "Smoothness" maps.

Last edited: