• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Nose Wheel Animation

Country
yugoslavia
Hi,
I made animation in blender and make good animation and attach tags for c_tire_[blurred/still]_key.
Animation for ''both'' wheels c_tire_[blurred/still] was made 0-100 (25-50-75-100) with 0-90-180-270-360 degrees.And i made attach visibility for c_tire_[blurred/still]. Problem is when i start p3dv4 and aircraft show animated wheel start immediately roll in place his animation from 0-360 and stop.
After this short sequence wheel never roll again no meter i do:( For slow speed wheel show c_tire_still image and for higher speed c_tire_blurred image but wheel don't rotate. Where is my mistake and what is problem here ?
I will attach video and blender file.

https://ufile.io/424cw

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
So you've attached both the visibility and the animation tags correctly?

Country
yugoslavia
I think i make it right, but because animation don't work maybe I miss something :( See my blender file and tell me where i wrong ? I made same animation in FS Design Studio and i have same results :( Where i make mistake ? Or send me good wheel animation in blender file od 3d max and i will see where i made mistake... Thnks.

Country
yugoslavia
Can someone send me: blender or 3dmax or gmax or fs design studio file with correct nose wheel animation? To work in p3d or fsx after converting in mdl file.
Inbox if can't post here.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Maybe it is easier if you simply show us the steps you took.

Country
unitedkingdom
Have you set the animation transform controllers to "Linear", FSX & P3D require the animation transform controllers to be set to "Linear", I don't know how you would set the animation transform controllers in Blender.

Country
yugoslavia
Have you set the animation transform controllers to "Linear", FSX & P3D require the animation transform controllers to be set to "Linear", I don't know how you would set the animation transform controllers in Blender.
I dont know where to see this "Linear" animation controllers in blender :(

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I dont know where to see this "Linear" animation controllers in blender :(

Go to Graph Editor (lower left corner where you also set 3D editor), select the animation and under Channel > Extrapolation mode > Linear extrapolation.
Also try to step by step describe what you did for the animation.

Country
yugoslavia
Ok i made wheel and made clone. In FSX Animation tool i assign one wheel to c_tire_still and second wheel to c_tire_blurred. After that i made animation for both wheels length 0-100. (0-25-50-75-100). With rotation to x axis (0-90-180-270-360) degrees. After that in FSX Attachpoint tool i attach visibility tag c_tire_still and c_tire_blurred to corresponding wheels. Then i export MDL file for P3D. In first post i attach blender file and video.

Country
yugoslavia
Go to Graph Editor (lower left corner where you also set 3D editor), select the animation and under Channel > Extrapolation mode > Linear extrapolation.
Also try to step by step describe what you did for the animation.
I try it and still same result :(

Country
yugoslavia
Here is mdl file and texture. Put folder beech_baron_58 in Airplanes folder. But first backup external beech_baron_58 model. Try in sim watch external view and zoom on wheel.

https://ufile.io/6v65l

Country
yugoslavia
Let's make it more simple...

Code:
<Animation name="center_wheel" guid="" length="360" type="Sim" typeParam2="center_wheel" typeParam="AutoPlay"/>

<PartInfo>
<Name>center_wheel</Name>
<AnimLength>360</AnimLength>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
<Code>(A:CENTER WHEEL ROTATION ANGLE,Degree)</Code>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

Don't forget to generate GUiD !

inventing_the_wheel_597315.jpg

Country
yugoslavia
Let's make it more simple...

Code:
<Animation name="center_wheel" guid="" length="360" type="Sim" typeParam2="center_wheel" typeParam="AutoPlay"/>

<PartInfo>
<Name>center_wheel</Name>
<AnimLength>360</AnimLength>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
<Code>(A:CENTER WHEEL ROTATION ANGLE,Degree)</Code>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

Don't forget to generate GUiD !

inventing_the_wheel_597315.jpg
THIS IS GOOD :) Wheels spinning !!! THNKS Milos :)

Country
unitedstates
That part of the SDK is actually a load of crap. TCB keys work fine, in fact, I never even knew I wasn't "supposed" to be using them until fairly recently (and all my FSX exports worked just fine). What one needs to recognize, however, is that TCB keys will produce different results than linear keys depending on how non-uniform the changes in motion between keys are. You should, for example, be using TCB keys for landing gear extension and retraction, because those sequences generally aren't linear at all, and the TCB keys will smooth over the changes in motion (if you don't believe me, I'll be happy to send you two different exports of the AI Falcon, and you can see for yourself).

I think what they meant to say was "always use linear keys, unless you know what effect using non-linear keys will have, and don't come whining to us if you're using TCB rotations and don't get the results you expected."

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
A further enigma is still present even in the Prepar3D v4.1 SDK, to wit the following comment just prior to the wheel animation scripts:
<!-- Tire codes will need to be re-implemented (will also need proper simvar) -->
In nearly fifteen years nothing at all has been done to make the cited required changes... :rotfl:

OTOH, the default tire animation scripts have been working just fine, so I wonder what the heck this comment was all about?

Just for the record though, I've configured Max to always default to Linear controllers. I will manually change to TCB whenever desired or required. :twocents: